Should I start watching for eggs yet??

Birdmom2020

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Yadkin river area NC
My 3 RIR are 14 weeks old. I've heard that they can start laying any time but I also know from research on here and around Google that they don't usually start laying until around 18 weeks. I have one who has been walking around like she's looking for a spot to lay and making that loud squawking they normally make before laying. I feel like it's way too early but at the same time I'm curious. I haven't gotten nesting boxes made yet bc they're still so young. It will only take my husband a couple hrs to build them. But should we start? I had it all planned out to build them when we got home from our 4th of July trip but now I'm worried. Any info?

On average, Rhode Island Reds lay at about 18-20 weeks.
Watch out for the combs turning red, or squatting. I think it's still good to have the box in early, because you never know.
Okay. Thank you. I've had chickens before years ago but never realized the combs turning red. Is that a sign they're ready? I'll get him to get the boxes in this weekend. To be safe. Thanks again!

It's a good idea to go and get the boxes ready to put in the coop. Typically your girls will give you a sign when they're ready! I know some of mine would squat down and sit a lot before they would actually lay. Not necessarily in the nesting boxes but just in random places in the yard when they're let out to free range during the day. I don't know if any of mine have laid earlier than 16 weeks though. Hope this helped!

It's a good idea to go and get the boxes ready to put in the coop. Typically your girls will give you a sign when they're ready! I know some of mine would squat down and sit a lot before they would actually lay. Not necessarily in the nesting boxes but just in random places in the yard when they're let out to free range during the day. I don't know if any of mine have laid earlier than 16 weeks though. Hope this helped!
Yes! Thank you! I appreciate it! I'll watch them. Saturday they will be 15 weeks so we're definitely closer then I thought!

Thank you everybody for the responses! I appreciate it! Nesting boxes are definitely going in this weekend and will be set up and ready. We're closer than I originally thought.

I do have one more question since I now know this. Do I need to have the boxes up since I have 2 Pekin ducks (same age) pretty sure both are female. Do you think they will bother the eggs if they start laying while we're out of town? I will have someone here to take care of them morning and night and will let them know to keep an eye for eggs just in case. But I'm just wondering if the ducks will do anything since I know they start laying a little later than the chickens will.

Back
Top Bottom