Should i start worrying now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenaddict, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Yesturday was day 18 on 12 serama eggs. None have pipped or rocked. I hold an egg up to my ear to see if i can hear peeping or anything and i hear nothing. They are under my broody hen who has been an excellent setter so far. I was under the impression that they hatch in 18 days. I didn't get a wink of sleep last night worrying about them. I have hatched cochin eggs before but from what i hear about the seramas they are much more delicate then cochins. Last day i candled them was day 14 and everything looked great at that point. I take her off the nest once a day to graze in the yard for a few minutes as well as poop because she refuses to go in the brooder (trying to keep it clean for the babies i suppose).I know i should be more patient but sheesh its sooo hard. I feel like a walking zombie today and dont want to leave the house at all in case i miss something. When should i step in to help?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    My eggs usually don't hatch until 20-21 days. I would say you have afew more days to wait .

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Take a deep breath...step back, and let momma hen do her job. Trust me, she knows if they are still alive or not. If the eggs die, she will kick it out. Its hard...but be patient. [​IMG]

4. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thanks justusnak and newnanchic. I figured she would kick the eggs out if they were bad. I have never hatched serama eggs before i guess that is why im such a nervous nelly. Time for me to take a nap i think lol

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    She is really beautiful.

Did they tell you to sit on your hands. LOL

edited to add: How many eggs is she sitting on?

6. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thank you [​IMG] shes a mix of cochin and japanese.LOL nope no one told me to sit on my hands altho i have been very good at not messing with her except for taking her outside for about 5 minutes a day to do her business. She is on 12 eggs

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I can't wait to see the pictures.

8. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    What a beautiful hen! [​IMG] Good luck!

9. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thanks to all for the compliments on her she is just a youngin herself (about 6 months old) I will definately keep you posted and as soon as they hatch i will be taking LOTS of pics [​IMG]

10. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    UPDATE... I went in to check on her and just sit next to her and i heard peeping [​IMG] no pips or zips just peeping from inside the eggs YAY !!! Hopefully by tonight or tomorrow morning these lil buggers will pop out for a visit with the camera [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by