Should I stop them from turning?

chickathon

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
West Virginia
I have a bresea mini advance. I gathered eggs from a hen that was laying on too many. I had marked all the ones that were orginally hers(I thought). I must have missed marking one because it is further along in development than the others. The ones under the hen are due to hatch on the 8th of June. The others are target to hatch on the 11th of june. The incubator says it will stop turning two days before hatching. Is it okay to continue to let it turn or will the chick not be able to find it's way out? Or will it hurt the other six eggs to stop their turning so just that one will hatch? This is my first hatching exsperienceand I am totally freaking out!
barnie.gif
Any advice would be awesome. Thanks before hand for any replies.

I can't say yes or no for sure, but I did once get caught out when I was incubating eggs. The eggs started hatching 3 days early and I've been turning them up 'till they hatched. The chicks hatched out fine.

Why not stick that advanced egg back under the broody?

There are reasons for the advice given about when to turn them and when to stop turning them. There is a lot going on inside those eggs for them to get ready to hatch. But you will find that those eggs can be pretty tough. Even if you do a lot of things wrong, some will often find a way to hatch. Following the turning guidelines exactly does not guarantee that they will hatch. There are a lot of other things going on with the eggs. Not following the guidelines exactly does not guarantee total failure. Following the guidelines simply improves your odds.

Studies have shown that it is much more important to turn the eggs the first week of incubation than the last week. You can probably go either way with those eggs. If you keep turning, that one might hatch fine. If you stop turning, the others might hatch fine. But your odds are better if you can find a way to do it right.

Why not stick that advanced egg back under the broody?
There are reasons for the advice given about when to turn them and when to stop turning them. There is a lot going on inside those eggs for them to get ready to hatch. But you will find that those eggs can be pretty tough. Even if you do a lot of things wrong, some will often find a way to hatch. Following the turning guidelines exactly does not guarantee that they will hatch. There are a lot of other things going on with the eggs. Not following the guidelines exactly does not guarantee total failure. Following the guidelines simply improves your odds.
Studies have shown that it is much more important to turn the eggs the first week of incubation than the last week. You can probably go either way with those eggs. If you keep turning, that one might hatch fine. If you stop turning, the others might hatch fine. But your odds are better if you can find a way to do it right.
Broody hen a.k.a. grouchy was killed by a raccoon two days after I gathered the eggs.

That is to bad, sorry to hear that. I have 0 knowledge of incubators so I am sorry not much help here. But by logics I would think there is only 3 days difference in hatch days and I would think it would be ok to stop turning them. But that is my guess and that is all. I hope all goes well!

Back
Top Bottom