Should I switch to muscovy? *UPDATE I found a breeder

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
I have Indian Runner ducks now. I enjoy them, they are hilarious. They are pets to a degree but with runners, they are not the friendliest not mean just nervous. I'm thinking of switching to Muscovy though.
I first wanted ducks for food but figured that was not realistic in my suburban setting. My thing now is I have runner ducklings that I'm waiting to sex since nobody was interested in buying them when they were little and I'm hoping by knowing male or female I'll be able to sell them. So, if I end up with too many that I can't get rid of, the most logical thing would be to put them in the freezer. Alot of work for such small ducks. With muscovy, at least the effort would be worth the work.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm unfamiliar with runners.. they look cute though
lol.png
I do know muscovy are supposed to be good eating.. and i also know based on my two drakes reach a real good(almost turkey size) very quickly @ 3.5mths+ my drakes are BIG. However, i refuse to get personal with my food so mine are purely pets.

Quote:
I thought about that or keeping male runners and getting female scovies but then I would not be able to replenish my own stock so I'd need to periodically purchase more breeders and I'm not sure sizewise what I'd end up with.
I'm not worried about getting personal with my food
lol.png
I haven't named any of my birds with the exception of names based on color ie blue and coco. I would just like to be able to be a bit more self suffecient at least until I talk my hubby into moving to more space (may have to force him
roll.png
) I like the quiet and calm characteristic of the muscovy. It gets a bit old when everyone panics because you open the back door.

Quote:
I think yours are weird.
wink.png
I did not handle mine much when they were young. They do come running for treats but the stampeed when I get close is ridiculous. Having to catch them is quite a chore.

Back
Top Bottom