Should I switch to Non Medicated food?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I am so confused by the medicated vs. non medicated topic. I know its to help prevent Coccidiosis but read they should only be on it for the beginning of life? I have a 5 lb bag that's almost empty. the first 2 days I had them on non medicated but quickly switched to medicated after we had a chick die suddenly. No rhyme or reason but I just felt better getting medicated. Should I switch back to non?

I also saw here on the forum lots of talk about treating with Corrid if a chick or chicken shows signs of Coccidiosis. Where does one get this? is the something I should have on hand when raising chickens? Am I overthinking? I may be assuming this is more of a problem than it actually is.

I personally am feeding medicated until they switch to layer feed. I figure it can't hurt while they're adjusting to the outside (and new exposures). Our local store carries it, and it's pretty cheap.

I also have Corrid on hand for emergencies, thanks to the advice in these forums (bought off Amazon).

IMO best to have Corid on hand regardless of what you feed them, as a bird can go downhill very quickly if they have coccidiosis. You can get it from feed stores, I think it's usually labeled for use in calves.

I don't use medicated feed, I believe in using exposure to help chicks build up a tolerance for the parasite, but that only seems to work if they're exposed to it very early on (I brood outdoors so they're exposed from 2-3 days old). If you brooded indoors and didn't expose the chicks to outdoor soil/dirt for weeks, when they finally go out any coccidiosis in your environment can overwhelm their system, and that's the sort of thing medicated feed was designed to help with.

I personally am feeding medicated until they switch to layer feed. I figure it can't hurt while they're adjusting to the outside (and new exposures). Our local store carries it, and it's pretty cheap.

I also have Corrid on hand for emergencies, thanks to the advice in these forums (bought off Amazon).
Thanks! Just ordered some from amazon to keep on hand.

Back
Top Bottom