Should I take Mama Junebug off her chicks & eggs?

babywrangler

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 11, 2011
Hi fellow chicken luvahs,

I have a late brood of chicks hatching with a new mama. The eggs starting hatching sometime yesterday (not sure when because all my chickens have full range of our property--this Mama has herself and her eggs wedged in between two bales of horse hay and I can't really see what's going on). The Mama is a spring chick, and I'm concerned she doesn't know what to do or something. The eggs started hatching, as I said, sometime yesterday, and I knew because I heard some peeping coming from the hay. Later in the day, I spied on her and saw one tiny chick dart its head out and back in. This morning, I heard more peeping and I heard what I thought was pecking and cracking noises, so I assumed they were still hatching. But she's still in there tonight, hasn't moved for 48 hours, and I'm not sure if this is normal. It's cold here, and I'm worried about her not eating/drinking. I put some food & water near her, but she's "in the zone" and not moving. Should I bring everyone inside? I know the chicks can go for 2-3 days without eating or drinking, but by tomorrow, I think they're going to need something. I thought they were all supposed to hatch around the same time?

Help!

Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
They all hatch somewhat around the same time unless other hens have been adding eggs to her nest. If you saw the first chicks yesterday, I would be tempted to lift her off the nest tomorrow and check as to what is going on. If the hatch is apparently over, you might want to move her and the chicks to a holding pen providing food and water.

My silkies seemed to know exactly what to do with their hatches immediately however the first time one of my marans became a mama she did the same thing as your hen. Two days after the hatch I finally pulled her off and all of a sudden she started eating ravenously and the chicks caught on fast! I then had to go pull her back off the nest the next three mornings as well. In your case it could be different if chicks are still hatching so I would check. If they are done hatching then put food and water close by and pull her off, the chicks will follow. If there are still eggs after two days than you need to either take the chicks away to feed and water them (they can be reintroduced later if your hen is amiable to it)or put the eggs in a bator and pull her off. The bottom line is the chicks should be fine for 48 hrs without food and water but after that you need to intervene if mama can't or doesn't know what to do. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom