Should I take my chickens with me when I move?

Sue Gremlin

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Colebrook, CT
I am moving from Michigan to Connecticut in a few weeks. Our new property has bears about, we saw some big, big piles of bear scat when we were there.
We have had good luck with our coop design in southern MI, but we do not have bears here. Are we going to just move them to have bears attack our coop? Should we find homes for them all? What say you chicken people?

where are you moving to in CT?

i’m in fairfield county. we have bears in the area, but not so much as a raccoon has bothered my coop.

usually rehoming your current flock will work out best, for them and for you. Is there a good coop and run all set up at your new place? With electric wire around it to help with bear proofing?
There are likely health certificates and testing that needs to be done ASAP, taking them across state lines. Find out Monday! Moving poultry, or any livestock, across state lines can be complicated.
Mary

I live in CT and although there are bears throughout the state, and maybe a couple that pass through my yard, I'm not worried about losing my flock to one. Litchfield county in CT is Beautiful and much more rural. I dont know what to tell you about what people in Litchfield county do for bear protection, but whatever it is, do that! Good luck!

I am moving from Michigan to Connecticut in a few weeks. Our new property has bears about, we saw some big, big piles of bear scat when we were there.
We have had good luck with our coop design in southern MI, but we do not have bears here. Are we going to just move them to have bears attack our coop? Should we find homes for them all? What say you chicken people?
Whatever decision you make Sue, I hope you have a safe easy move to Connecticut.

Back
Top Bottom