1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I take my chicks out of small incubator when they start to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by molly1chickens, Jul 13, 2016.

1. molly1chickens

molly1chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2016
    I have a very very small incubator that can only just fit seven eggs but is a squeeze. When my chicks start to hatch I am scared they won't have enough space. Should I move them into something else like a spacious cardboard box with a heat lamp at 37 degrees on the last day/when I see them hatching?

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Could you take a pic of the bator please?
    When they dry I would move them into a brooder. They will lay on top of the other eggs and stuff. And once a chick hatches, a space opens.
    Happy Hatching

BCP

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    That's what I do. If your humidity is over 70% there is no problem lifting the lid enough to quickly grab the chick. Make sure your brooder has a cool area for the chicks to move to if overheated. I cringe when hearing "heat" lamp and small brooder spaces. Way back when I used small totes a 60 to 100 W incandesent bulb was all that was needed. Kept to one end of the tote.

4. molly1chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. molly1chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    I have posted a picture of my incubator and eggs above. I will do that, thanks of the help! :)

6. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    WOW that is small lol
    Yeah when one chick hatches, just remove the egg shell and let the chick dry

BCP

7. molly1chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Ok thanks so much! And yes it is so annoying I got it as a gift but it is so small! Would have got a bigger one if I could have chose.

8. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    I would've too lol

-BCP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by