Should I take my friend's chicken into my flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pampered Poultry, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Pampered Poultry

Pampered Poultry New Egg

Jul 11, 2008
    VA
    My friend has a chicken who has spent the last year attacking two other chickens constantly, to the point of leaving those two bloody and isolated from the rest of her group. I have a flock of 10 week old chickens who seem to get along very peacefully so far.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Do not put a new `chicken in with your chickens! You could cause your own chickens to become very ill.

You need to practice strict biosecurity. Do not let her or the chicken near your chickens. Germs that can be fatal to your chickens can be carried on her clothes and shoes.

You need to stand tough or risk illness and loss in your flock.

Stand up and say NO!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Listen to Miss Prissy!!

5. vickiemontana

vickiemontana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Montana
    Don't do it!!! It's like the kid at school who says "hey, you want my sandwich, it tastes like poop and I'm not going to eat it anyway."

6. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I think you need to explain to your friend that she cannot dump her chicken into yours for first, biosecurity reasons. Do you want your chickens infected with anything hers might have? Second, if your flock is happy and peaceful, adding a strange chicken could make all of yours uneasy, aggressive, and uncomfortable. Chickens do best when they are happy with their flock mates and no strange birds are added. If she is not happy with her bird, she needs to dispose of it herself. You can take it, but only if you WANT it, and I would be sure and quarantine it for 30 days before trying to introduce it to your flock. If it is used to picking on other chickens, it will continue to do so. [​IMG]

7. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    even if he has no diseases, mites,lice or anything else even if he was your Roo he could not be put in with 10 wk old.

8. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I agree. You don't need her headache. Just say "no thanks".

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Accept mean chicken. Then cull it when your friend leaves. You can always say 'hey, it attacked my babies'. [​IMG] I have a tough time saying no too, but I wouldn't want my own birds to even take the risk of getting hurt. [​IMG]

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Definitely NOT! DO NOT TAKE THAT CHICKEN AND DO NOT LET IT EVEN GET NEAR YOUR BABIES! Here's a good example of what can happen when you introduce new birds to your flock without a quarantine period. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=69444

Take
    if from me, someone who has experienced it. It can be devastating and such a heartache. Stand up for your chicks and say, "NO!" MissPrissy speaks wisely when counseling you to do the same. I just had to cull 9 of my 5 wk. olds today. It was not fun and something I don't wish you to go through. You are in charge and you need to say no. You don't need that mean chicken in your flock anyways. It sounds like the best place for it would be the dinner table. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by