Should I take the eggs!

SiTran

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
Louisville, KY
I need your opinion ladies and gens, I have 4 muscovies, 1:3 male to female ratio. My females are over a year old, but my drake is only 6 months old. I see him mounting the girls, but is he really doing the job?

Well, one of the girl has laid 2 eggs already and I was wondering if I should let her hatch it or just take them. I want ducklings, but if they aren't fertile, I rather eat them then let them go to waste.

So do you guys and girl think "Charlie" my drake is sexually mature enough? Or should I just play it safe and wait another month or two?

Thank you!

is the hen brooding?

if so then i would set these eggs right now, and when you candle them they arent fertile, take them away and wait another month to try again.

no she is not brooding, she only started laying two days ago, I am just wondering if the eggs will be fertile since my drake is so young and inexperience....

if she isnt broody, then she wont hatch them for you. but if you have an incubator you can.
It really depends on the drake for how fast he gets it. i would wait one more month and just eat these.

If he is making contact and getting the job done, the eggs are probably fertile. Why not break one and check for the 'bullseye' indicative of fertile eggs?

Back
Top Bottom