Should I Treat For Mites? *pictures*

owlsayshoo

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2017
I brought home two 3-week old chicks from Agway a few days ago and as soon as I got them in the brooder, I noticed they had bald spots. They are completely quarantined from the rest of my flock, but I'm not totally sure what I'm dealing with here. Their vents are completely clear and healthy looking, and in these bald spots I'm not able to see anything crawling around. They ARE, however, acting "itchy" and preening the base of their wing feathers constantly. Should I just go ahead and treat them with poultry dust to be safe?

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3047.JPG

I brought home two 3-week old chicks from Agway a few days ago and as soon as I got them in the brooder, I noticed they had bald spots. They are completely quarantined from the rest of my flock, but I'm not totally sure what I'm dealing with here. Their vents are completely clear and healthy looking, and in these bald spots I'm not able to see anything crawling around. They ARE, however, acting "itchy" and preening the base of their wing feathers constantly. Should I just go ahead and treat them with poultry dust to be safe?

View attachment 1021109

View attachment 1021111

The mites that were invading my coop recently were just a little larger tha the head of a pencil and not on the chickens so for me as being a new member to backyard chicken raising I would suggest looking closer with a magnified glass if possible. I'm not sure about the dust. Check the emergency and diseases forum and see if anything there will help. I hope this helps a little and I hope the chicks get better.

View attachment 1021109

View attachment 1021111
They might have lice or mites. No harm in treating them with poultry dust or permethrin spray.

Back
Top Bottom