Should I trim my chickens’ nails?

Mamma G

Hatching
Apr 27, 2022
I just recently got some year old Silkie hens, they didn’t get a lot of time outside at their previous home, they lived inside a huge barn in a nice layer of pine shavings, but they will be free range here scratching and doing chicken things with full access to inside and outside at all times. My question is, do I trim their over grown nails and give them a fresh start, or let them wear them down naturally?

I would trim them, if they're clearly to long, as I would be worried that they might get caught on something.
You don't necessarily need to take much off, just make it a bit more manageable.

I would trim them, if they're clearly to long, as I would be worried that they might get caught on something.
You don't necessarily need to take much off, just make it a bit more manageable.
Okay! That’s good enough for me! I was thinking the same thing! Fingers crossed it goes ok! I have trimmed dogs and cats but never a chicken! I assume it will be similar to the cats 😂

I would recommend trimming them a little, and make sure not to go too far because you don’t want to cut the quick. You don’t have to trim them all the time, though, just if you notice they’re very long like if you have a sick or injured chicken that’s not scratching around and wearing them down a lot

Back
Top Bottom