should I try a batch of meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by carousel, Aug 1, 2008.

1. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I'm considering doing as others have, ordering some meat birds in the fall so they do not suffer from overheating as they grow the weather would get cooler not hotter.
    I have a back yard, not acerage.
    I was thinking of ordering maybe 12-15 chicks from Ideal - enough to get the 25.00 min order.
    i was thinking 1/2 Cornish crosses, 1/2 red or black Broilers.
    I can tractor them in my back yard as they get older.
    There is a processor I can use - so I have covered that.

This is more about being responsible for the food I'm eating more than trying to do this on the "cheap".
    I have a flock of 8 laying hens now.
    I have a friend who has raised meat birds the past 2 years, so I have been around what the Cornish crosses are like.

thoughts? feedback?

Thanks

Catherine

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I say GO FOR IT! I"m going in with another BYC'r for some fall broilers for the first time - we're going to split an order...

I'm like you - I like knowing where the food comes from, I enjoy raising the chickens and I am looking forward to stocking my freezer!

3. carousel

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    what are thoughts,
    should I try 12 birds for a first timer?
    6 Cornish X and 6 Red broilers? figuring that I would keep the Red Broilers around a bit longer?
    or just try the Cornish X
    I will order a few layers at the same time to make sure I make the 25.00 limit.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'm really REALLY curious to hear about your experience w/ BYB ("BackYardBroilers"... hehe). This is an idea I've been playing around with, too. I have a space (albeit a small-ish one) where I could probably raise 10-15 birds, no problem.

Keep us posted on what you do! I'm going to live vicariously through you.

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I've not decided how many cornish X yet... I'm figuring we'll get a least 25 and split the order.... hmmmm. I keep going back and forth between whether 15 is too MANY or not ENOUGH...

6. carousel

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    based on what my friend raised the first year 15 Cornish X - they lost one at 5 weeks,
    I think 12 is enough for me.
    Now I just need to decided about getting just Cornish X or a mix of Cornish X and Red Broilers (both from Ideal)

7. starshrike

starshrike Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    I was lucky, the feedstore had some week old CornishX when I went to pick up more feed for my others.... not that I NEED any more chickens! I only got 6, but I'm thinking that won't be enough (to eat).

It's my first batch, but they are SO plump already compared to layer chicks at the same age.

8. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Definitely go for it!

I too was lucky with my first time with meat birds...stopped at the feed store and surprisingly came home with four broilers (and two bantams). Four was a good start for me, they free ranged a lot, didn't stampede for feed, they were quite nice birds. There's a post in this section from Perfectly_Polish from the day we processed my four meaties (pics AND youtube video).

I think six of each sounds great for a start, especially since you already have a processor in mind. I'm now on to six Red Bros (JM Hatchery), with a possibility of more broilers coming in with Purple Chicken and Perfectly_Polish.

It was difficult for me to eat the meat I raised, but once I did, it was totally worth it. Knowing what you're eating and the people who processed your meat is really great. Just remember to not name them and see them as food each and every time you interact with them.

Good Luck!!

(and when I joined BYC, I NEVER thought I'd be posting in this section! Now I'm on to my second batch of meaties and haven't seen an egg yet!)

9. carousel

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I DID it
    I placed my order to come no sooner than after Labor day weekend.
    6 Straight run Cornish Crosses
    6 Straight run Red Broilers
    and to balance off my order!
    4 Danish Brown Leghorn pullets
    4 Easter eggers pullets

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  10. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Good for you! I was very nervous ordering mine. I think it will be worth it in the end. I am processing mine with a friend so I am more nervous about that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by