Should I try and kill this bobcat?

It may seem that way to you, but that's really just coincidental and anecdotal. I've had many dogs and although the dogs themselves will repel predators, their urine or feces absolutely does not.
you are probably right. though I will say, since august the only time raccoons showed up on the trail cam was when the dog was out of town for at least 24hrs. 🤷‍♀️

you are probably right. though I will say, since august the only time raccoons showed up on the trail cam was when the dog was out of town for at least 24hrs. 🤷‍♀️
I wish you were right and it was that simple, it sure would make my life a lot easier. :) It's quite likely they did show up because they noticed the dog hadn't been around for awhile. Predators do a LOT of watching and waiting for a good opportunity.

Still more bobcats. 4' from my front porch, by my bedroom window. Have on video but problems uploading.
VideoCapture_20230118-090233.jpg

Last edited:
This is the second year my chickens have been attacked by a local bobcat living in the woods behind out house. We like to free range our chickens, even though we only do so in the afternoon to cut down on the amount of time they're vulnerable. Last February the cat took Meridah, our favorite chicken, who was as sweet and affectionate as I've ever seen.

This year the cat is back at its old hunting ground (our back woods). Just last weekend my wife literally saw the bobcat through our window carrying one of our chickens in our side yard, and I ran out and chased it off in time to scare it away and make it drop the chicken. She's currently recuperating (I coated her generously with Neosporin and Vetermicyn for several days), but she's still not using one leg and I'm concerned about whether she'll make it.

A second chicken seemed to have fled from the cat and seemed largely unharmed at the time, but is now seemingly in shock, refusing to eat or drink much at all, and seems too weak to walk (even though she literally ran 100 yards back to the coop when we finally found her hiding under a log right after the attack).

I'm worried about these two chickens and their chances at recovery, and I'm frankly pissed at this cat. This is the second year it's been killing and harming our chickens, and now the chickens can only free range for a couple hours a day (if they're lucky and we have time to directly supervise them).

So I'm wondering - should I try and kill this cat? I called the state and they said they won't do anything, and that I'm not legally allowed to trap the thing without a trapper license. However, I have the rifle for it and I'm legally allowed to kill it.

But I'm interested in some other opinions on whether this would be morally or ethically justified to do. I understand predators have a right to exist too. But don't my chickens deserve to free range as well? How many animals do these cats bring a terrifying, agonizing death in their lives? Hundreds? Thousands? I'm starting to feel I owe it to my chickens to remove the threat and allow them to live and free range in broad daylight again.

So what do you all think? Should I try and kill the cat, or just let nature takes its course?
When we own chickens, "nature taking its course" has already been disrupted. Most chickens are not jungle fowl; they have been domesticated. The responsibilities of owning chickens includes keeping them safe.

Mine free range from sunlight to sunset. We are always out and about with them and have scared off hawks, falcons, etc. One got attacked and is currently healing. Still I let them free range and try to deter any air predators during the daylight hours. Rooster Cogburn does a good job in alerting. The one that was attacked is name LC for Loner Chick b/c she has always had a propensity to wander off from the flock. I am hoping after she is release back to the flock her habits change.

We have bobcats, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, etc. When it is time to come in for the evening, we sit by the coop and count heads as the go into the run. Once they are all in, we shut the run and then come back and do a final shut in when all are in the coop.

I would shoot any of these predators in a heartbeat without feeling badly. We live in the country and have a wildlife ag exemption. All of these are considered pest species that not only kill domesticated animals, but also wreck havoc on the biological balance in the area. BTW...the parks and wildlife department also encourages the killing of feral cats for this same reason.

I didn’t see from earlier responses but here in Georgia, bobcats can be hunted and killed, but only during regulated seasons. However, Georgia Dept of Natural Resources will usually give a kill or trap permit if requested in a case like yours. The last permit I got was for foxes and it was gods for 30 days and it was unlimited with respect to numbers. Just be sure that if you are going to take action, you aren’t looking at any legal issues with state.

With that said, if one is attacking my chickens, dogs or anything else, I will sort any issues out with law enforcement later.

Back
Top Bottom