Should I try and kill this bobcat?

Pics
? My comment was an exaggeration of what I would do to protect my chickens. I never said I would shoot or trap anything. Obviously I wouldn’t be able to bat a predatory bird into my field as it is far from my backyard and physical restrictions wouldn’t allow that anyway. I’m responding to a thread about predators, not a thread about justifying a comment to someone who has taken something literally and seems to want to argue.

@thebuffestorpington - I hope you find a safe resolution for your flock 😀

? My comment was an exaggeration of what I would do to protect my chickens. I never said I would shoot or trap anything. Obviously I wouldn’t be able to bat a predatory bird into my field as it is far from my backyard and physical restrictions wouldn’t allow that anyway. I’m responding to a thread about predators, not a thread about justifying a comment to someone who has taken something literally and seems to want to argue.

@thebuffestorpington - I hope you find a safe resolution for your flock 😀
Not arguing, just pointing out a contradiction.

An exaggeration, not a contradiction.

Bless your heart ♥️ I hope your holidays are wonderful 🐓🎄🙏
Good grief, this exchange really bothered me. I went back through it and read what I had said and what was said after, and it hit me suddenly - I mentioned carrying my big net, and said since I can’t shoot it (hawk)… and then the batting it into the field. My big net has nothing to do with catching anything, I carry it with me when my girls are in their limited free range area to “shoo” them back into the run. It has a long handle. I don’t even use it on my chickens, it’s so traumatizing from what I’ve seen. I said “I can’t shoot it” not because it’s illegal, but because I wouldn’t be able to shoot an animal for hunting when given the opportunity. I know the protected species in our state, and my husband (40+ yrs taxidermist and hunter) is rather a pro in the subject. We have no pheasants in our fields (7 acres) anymore due to the influx of hawks and coyotes. I wish those predators would focus a little more on the squirrels and kangaroo mice - I hope that’s okay to say 🥴
Longest story ever, done - just wanted to clarify. No offenses meant, sorry for the confusion and the time taken here ⏱️

This is the second year my chickens have been attacked by a local bobcat living in the woods behind out house. We like to free range our chickens, even though we only do so in the afternoon to cut down on the amount of time they're vulnerable. Last February the cat took Meridah, our favorite chicken, who was as sweet and affectionate as I've ever seen.

This year the cat is back at its old hunting ground (our back woods). Just last weekend my wife literally saw the bobcat through our window carrying one of our chickens in our side yard, and I ran out and chased it off in time to scare it away and make it drop the chicken. She's currently recuperating (I coated her generously with Neosporin and Vetermicyn for several days), but she's still not using one leg and I'm concerned about whether she'll make it.

A second chicken seemed to have fled from the cat and seemed largely unharmed at the time, but is now seemingly in shock, refusing to eat or drink much at all, and seems too weak to walk (even though she literally ran 100 yards back to the coop when we finally found her hiding under a log right after the attack).

I'm worried about these two chickens and their chances at recovery, and I'm frankly pissed at this cat. This is the second year it's been killing and harming our chickens, and now the chickens can only free range for a couple hours a day (if they're lucky and we have time to directly supervise them).

So I'm wondering - should I try and kill this cat? I called the state and they said they won't do anything, and that I'm not legally allowed to trap the thing without a trapper license. However, I have the rifle for it and I'm legally allowed to kill it.

But I'm interested in some other opinions on whether this would be morally or ethically justified to do. I understand predators have a right to exist too. But don't my chickens deserve to free range as well? How many animals do these cats bring a terrifying, agonizing death in their lives? Hundreds? Thousands? I'm starting to feel I owe it to my chickens to remove the threat and allow them to live and free range in broad daylight again.

So what do you all think? Should I try and kill the cat, or just let nature takes its course?
The way I see it, when we free range we have just opened an Old Country Buffet for all the local predators. It's not fair to the chickens to let them get eaten, and its not fair to the cat to kill it for taking the free meal you made available to it. The cat has no idea they are your chickens. It's just acting naturally. The cat also eats a lot of other pests like mice, so I'd leave it alone. Instead , I'd fence them in and run a few strands of electric wire along the bottom few feet and one at the top edge. Then both can exist and not bother each other.

Back
Top Bottom