Should I try and swing it?

lightchick

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
I live in a town and they allow chickens, but I'm not sure if they allow roos.
There over 5 places in town that have chickens (this town is tiny). There's only one place that I think has a roo, but they also have goats, sheep and geese. I think it's a farm only it's on the edge of town (with neighbors next door and everything). I can hear the rooster all the way to my house (faintly). I've always said that since most towns don't allow roos then I'd never have one, but I got one accidentally and I CAN return him and get a different chick instead, but I can already tell that he's going to be a beautiful roo! I'm thinking about keeping him. There are at least 3 farms right at the edge of town. One of them even has some horses.
If I ask my neighbors if they would mind a roo and they say yes, do you think I could try it? Also I live on the edge of town right by a reserve. We have about 2 acres.
Should I try it?

OK. Thanks! I think I might give it a try! Here he is! He's 4 weeks tomorrow so these are old pics!

Last edited:
What a sweet and pretty boy!
He looks to you with such a relaxed and easygoing, mellow expression- I would definitely try him if you could work it out where you are.

Some of our very favorite birds happen to be roosters, so not all of them go bad. Some can be broody, some more mellow, some funny, and some affectionate. You don't ever know how things will turn out, but I think there are much more good roosters than bad out there.

he is very pretty. i would keep him. you are fine. make sure he does not get aggressive.
yippiechickie.gif

He is so pretty, but I'm really not sure if I want to do this........I have a Silkie pullet and I'm worried that I'll get stuck with a bunch of chicks if she goes broody (not that I don't LOVE chicks, it's just that I'd run out of coop room). And I don't like the thought of eating fertilized eggs. I think I might just trade him for a pullet...

Back
Top Bottom