Should I try to deliberately delay eggs until spring?

Dorte

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
My chicks (1 Buff Orpington and 2 black Australorp) are from May 19th, so 6 weeks old now. 4-6 month from that brings us to fall, so I was kind of expecting them to wait until next spring to start their egg laying.

While browsing though the forum I saw some posts that hinted that early egg laying can cause problems.
That made me wonder if I should try to deliberately postpone their egg laying? What advantages would there be of doing so (if any), and how would I do it?

(I live in CA near Sacramento, and I do not plan to have light in the coop for winter.)

I have not heard of that. 4-6 months is normal egg laying age. I have 1 golden laced wyandotte, 1 australorp and had 1 buff orp. They layed around 6 months and have layed fine and plenty since then. Mine were kept inside the first year though and had light. If yours are kept in a coop during winter most of the time that will cut back on egg laying since the days will be shorter and if in the coop most of the time and not out will also cut down on the amount of light they get. Really the only benefit I see with delaying their laying is they will not 'burn out' so fast because they didn't lay that many eggs early on.
hmm.png

This is something that is beyond the control of the average backyard chicken person. Egg laying will commence when the chicken is ready, not before, and unless they were given drugs to prevent puberty, I think it would be very difficult to delay egg laying.

I think what you are referring to, is the practice in the northern areas, of adding more light to the day length. Places where it is dark 16 hours a day in deep winter, will get more eggs more consistently if they add hours of light with a lamp of some sort. However, if you do not add the light, you will still get eggs, you will not delay egg laying, just slow it down. Some think that letting the production ebb and flow in rhythm with nature's light, will be better in the long run for the chicken.

imho I do not think it makes much difference either way, if it is easy to set up lights, and you want to, you will get a few more eggs. If not, you will get a few less eggs, and I do not think it has a great detriment or advantage to the long term health of the chicken.

You can allow the production to slow, but you cannot really delay egg laying.

mk

I agree with Mrs. K.

As a matter of fact, when I read the subject line, I thought, "Whatcha gonna do, cork 'em up?"

Addionally, I have no intention of extending laying hours of my chickens through supplemental lighting. Eggs are a BENEFIT of chicken keeping, in my case. Wahoo! What gifts they give me, in addition to the pleasure of their company, the reduction of bugs in the yard (and house, by extension), and the great fertilizer!

Back
Top Bottom