Should I try to hatch old eggs (final results)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicks for better health, Mar 10, 2009.

1. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    I have been collecting eggs since 2/20/09 to put in my incubator. Several things have held me up from getting them in there including a slow PO on some eggs that I had purchased.

The oldest eggs were laid 2/20/09 and the newest today. Should I try the older eggs or is there to much risk of disease or poor quality chicks?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I would try it. The oldest fertile egg I ever put in was sixteen days old. None of the other old eggs were a problem either, they just didn't develop.

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Any eggs over one week start to lose viability very quickly - especially conditional based on the storage, including temperature.

Personally, I would not waste valuable time on eggs laid on Feb 20th. In my humble opinion, they are dead - not going to hatch.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    But on the other hand there are those on this forum that have hatched supermarket eggs, and there's no way those were fresh [​IMG]

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If you have room in the bator, by all means put them in whats the worst thing that can happen?? They dont develope, and you end up throwing them out. Best thing that can happen is that at least some develope. As long as they have been stored properly, give them a shot.. Who knows, you may be thinking about passing on the next show winner, just because its old.

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You have nothing to loose by trying to hatch them. Theya re not so old that they will put anything newer at risk. Go for it [​IMG]
    Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I've always heard they don't lose viablity until two weeks. I think you're waaaaaay fine. Even after two weeks, the viability slowly decreases. Hens lay numerous amounts of eggs before gowing broody. I think it's natural to hatch an egg two weeks old [​IMG]

I wouldn't ship eggs that old because added shipping stress would further decrease hatchability but I think they'll be ok.

8. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    If you have the incubator room, put them in you'll know in 8 days what you have. Keep us posted on how they do.
    Best of luck on your hatch.

9. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Looks like I am going to put them in. I have plenty of room in my new homemade bator. I should be completely filling it up (90 eggs) for my test run. Keep your fingers crossed I hope it goes well.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I REALLY hope that's a typo on the year! Yikes!

Go for it, just do the sniff test when you candle. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by