Should I try?

• Total voters

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 chicks. They are around 3 weeks old. One chick is a slow developer and the rooster chick is much bigger.
I have to go abroad in around 3 weeks and I'm worried that they won't integrate fast enough.
2 hens of mine have gone broody. They have been excellent moms before. I was thinking about giving the chicks to them. Therefore they will be accepted into the flock because the mamas will protect them. My broodies have raised chicks before, never separated from the rest of the flock.
Should I rehome the rooster chick and give the little one to the mama? Or give them both? Should I give them at all?

I think you should give both of them to the best broody. I've given a 7 week old chick that was rather to a broody (she had no eggs or chicks) before, and she did very well with it not knowing she didn't hatch it, or it's age. For the first day or two, I'd watch them closely to be sure they're good with each other.

As far as in the flock's run together, the broody didn’t hatch these chicks, so therefore, they don't know her voice. They might not listen to her to stay with and under her and to come when she calls. If something happens, they might run further away from her, instead of under her. As I've said, I've put an older chick under a broody before, and it went well, but I didn't put them in an adult flock.

You can always try, some broody hens will try to mother about any chick, even ones that old. But I would not expect success. Not only does the hen have to accept them, they have to accept her. Usually they don't at that age but as you can see, sometimes it works.

I would not separate the two chicks if you try it. Or even if you don't. Raising a single chick and integrating it can be challenging. They are social animals and want company. It can be hard on them being in the flock and not being allowed by the older ones to join in. Even if a broody accepts it she's going to wean it and leave it on its own at some point.

X2 what the others suggest.

Shoot - I had a hen just spontaneously and independently choose to adopt two 5 week olds. She wasn't even broody.

would not separate the two chicks if you try it. Or even if you don't. Raising a single chick and integrating it can be challenging. They are social animals and want company. It can be hard on them being in the flock and not being allowed by the older ones to join in. Even if a broody accepts it she's going to wean it and leave it on its own at some point.
THIS. I learned this the hard way. I gave a broody a single chick. She turned out to be a little neurotic. She is calmer now, but we called the poor thing Crazy Bryony for years. She's still somewhat of a loner, and I kick myself whenever I see her by herself on the roost at bedtime.

Last edited:
You can always try, some broody hens will try to mother about any chick, even ones that old. But I would not expect success. Not only does the hen have to accept them, they have to accept her. Usually they don't at that age but as you can see, sometimes it works.

I would not separate the two chicks if you try it. Or even if you don't. Raising a single chick and integrating it can be challenging. They are social animals and want company. It can be hard on them being in the flock and not being allowed by the older ones to join in. Even if a broody accepts it she's going to wean it and leave it on its own at some point.
:goodpost: Yeah. If she doesn’t accept it, it’ll be hard aswell. Raising chicks alone are time consuming but one will be more so.

Back
Top Bottom