Should I turn get rid of heat lamp? 3 week olds inside

Jul 31, 2020
So I’ve been trying to transition these 3 week old chicks off from a heat lamp because I have to share a room with them and it’s kinda hard to sleep with it but also because they are inside and most are almost feathered. It’s summer here and it’s making my room even warmer. My room is at lowest 25c. They seem warm enough but I worry the little polish chicks might get too cold? They aren’t huddling together but their feet aren’t warm. Not super cold either though. But I’m also worried my delaware chick will get too warm.

Would they be ok if it’s already that warm and summer time? I’ve had chicks before but during winter so we kept it on till 5 weeks I believe.

First is from a few days ago and they’ve sprouted since then
Second just before (ignore the mess they are wild and I cleaned and replaced everything less than 12 hours ago 😂)

Attachments

• 1BE4C127-B7C7-46C6-AC71-F583D655366F.jpeg
    1BE4C127-B7C7-46C6-AC71-F583D655366F.jpeg
    528.9 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 18
Ceramic Heat Lamp might work?
your chicks are so darn Cute!
you have summer.. Envy eyes from a far!

i never used one so i don't know the out put for heat and how far up to hang it.

So I’ve been trying to transition these 3 week old chicks off from a heat lamp because I have to share a room with them and it’s kinda hard to sleep with it but also because they are inside and most are almost feathered. It’s summer here and it’s making my room even warmer. My room is at lowest 25c. They seem warm enough but I worry the little polish chicks might get too cold? They aren’t huddling together but their feet aren’t warm. Not super cold either though. But I’m also worried my delaware chick will get too warm.

Would they be ok if it’s already that warm and summer time? I’ve had chicks before but during winter so we kept it on till 5 weeks I believe.

First is from a few days ago and they’ve sprouted since then
Second just before (ignore the mess they are wild and I cleaned and replaced everything less than 12 hours ago 😂)
What is your climate like right now. They probably could go in a small coop. If you take their heat lamp away they will how their feathers faster, and con go out side faster.

I'd have to order a heating plate/ ceramic lamp online and by the time it'd arrive they wouldn't need it (Australian shipping is a useless expensive thing even when express)
As for going outside they can't. We are waiting for a new coop to be constructed. Our old one isn't suitable anymore as we lost our whole flock. We have a big guinea pig cage ready for them with our silkies when they get a little bigger. The coop is being build late Jan/ early Feb when they should be all good to be outside.
It's the middle of summer and the average temp has been around 20-30c the past few weeks and quite humid

You can try taking the heat lamp away for a few hours and see how they behave. They’ll huddle and complain if they’re getting too cold. By 3 weeks in the summer I usually have chicks outside without heat all day.

25C at 3 weeks... they probably don't need it any longer. I wouldn't turn it off cold turkey though, try turning it off for like half the day, see how they do (they may peep or clump up in confusion, but that doesn't mean they're cold), then after a few days have it off all day, then a few days and transition to turning it off at night.

25 C = 77 F. At three weeks they don't need that heat. If they have never been in total darkness they may get scared when the light goes out. Don't confuse that with them being cold. Mine usually stop that scared peeping within 15 minutes and go to sleep.

This is more for your benefit than theirs but do as Rosemary said. Shut it off for a while. See what they do. That should help convince you that this is an OK thing to do.

I was reading this thread because I have the same question. My chicks are almost 3 weeks old and I moved them from their tiny brooder with heat lamp to a bigger box with a heating pad.. they were very busy running flapping & chirping for an hour or two, but when the sun went down they all just went to sleep! Some on the pad, others around the enclosure. Under the heat lamp they were awake on and off through the night so their silence scares me! If they are silent & asleep it must mean they are warm enough?I had only planned to put them in for a few hours to get used to the bigger space- and then back in the brooder- but I hate to wake them up now to put them back under that light?! It is winter here but our house is above 70.

Under the heat lamp they were awake on and off through the night so their silence scares me! If they are silent & asleep it must mean they are warm enough?I had only planned to put them in for a few hours to get used to the bigger space- and then back in the brooder- but I hate to wake them up now to put them back under that light?! It is winter here but our house is above 70.

No, that's perfect - sleeping babies are quiet!

I brood with a heat pad from the start and even newly arrived 2-3 day old chicks instinctively know to snuggle under the heat to sleep or even nap.

Yours are old enough (and your house well warm enough) that they don't really need the heat anymore which is why some of them aren't using it.

Back
Top Bottom