Should I Uninsulate my coop for the Spring/Summer?

Quote:
Depends -- where I live (Chaparral) the day time temps in the summer can be 100+ and night time <55. With a well ventilated and well insulated coop, it is much cooler inside than outside. I think without the insulation, I would not have this benefit. Also - the insulation helps keep the scorching hot sun rays from turning the coop into a chicken roaster. Insulation will help with temperature swings, in both summer and winter. That's its job.

Quote:
Depends -- where I live (Chaparral) the day time temps in the summer can be 100+ and night time <55. With a well ventilated and well insulated coop, it is much cooler inside than outside. I think without the insulation, I would not have this benefit. Also - the insulation helps keep the scorching hot sun rays from turning the coop into a chicken roaster. Insulation will help with temperature swings, in both summer and winter. That's its job.

I feel similarly.

Guys, are you actually comparing thermometer temperatures (inside coop, versus temperature in large shady area outdoors) or are you just saying 'gee it feels cooler in there'. Yes, it will be a lot cooler in there *compared to out in the sun*, but that is not the relevant comparison.

Insulation does not buffer temperatures as such. What it does is slow radiant heat exchange, from in to out or out to in (depending on season). It only plays a meaningful role in a coop IF the coop has either reasonable thermal mass indoors (some do, esp. large dirt- or slab-floored ones; many do not, esp. small and/or raised ones) OR if there is a source of active heating or cooling in the coop, e.g. a heatlamp or air conditioner.

A well-ventilated ("well" being more than a lot of poeple expect) UNinsulated coop will have the same interior temperature as the outdoor shade temperature (excepting the few very large and very-highly-thermally-ballasted coops).

Without an active source of "coolth" in the coop, i.e. either a powered cooler (a/c or swamp cooler) or a REALLY LARGE cold-sink, you are NOT getting temperatures below outdoor-shade temp.

Pat

We get hot and humid temps here in the Ohio Valley in the summer time. I love having an insulated coop. The insulation helps hold onto the cooler morning temps. into the early afternoon hours.
smile.png

The insulation helps hold onto the cooler morning temps. into the early afternoon hours.
smile.png

Oh yes, certainly. But it is a rare coop (see previous posts re: physical requirements) that is STILL cooler in that way BY LATE AFTERNOON which is when you get the challenging temperatures.

Pat​

Thanks for all the replies to my post. I hope it helps others who plan on insulating their coops and the direction to go after the cold weather has passed. Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation. Well my roof has a vent like in a house, I have two windows on two sides and since I have 2 run doors to two separate runs, I plan to have them open also to provide lower drafting potential. I need to go the solar fan route to help circulate the air. I do have power in my coop and I ran one of those 14 dollar box fans but if I can cut back on the power use, all the better. Thank you again for your insight and this is especially why this posting board is a great thing to belong to. Have a nice spring and summer. - Ken

P.S. Tomorrow is my big day, next phase of my mini farmstead. FIRST SHIPMENT OF HONEY BEES. Never had them before, never installed them before. Thanks to Youtube and Bee Culture Magazine plus the numerous books I have read. Hopefully I will have have my first experience filmed and will post to my LamoureuxLanding Youtube page.

Quote:
That is not a lot of ventilation, especially for wintertime. Far better than sinking money onto a solar powered fan that will still probably not do a very good job, why not just add more good PASSIVE ventilation, cut some good-sized holes in your coop where they'll be semi-protected from the weather and that will do the whole job for you
wink.png
See the ventilation page link in my .sig below for more.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
I am comparing temperatures. Insulation keeps the cooler air inside my coop longer than the same coop without insulation. My coops do no get shade from trees (ever). My coop will stay below the shade temp until around 3pm. At that point the temps are basically the same. On really hot days, the inside of the coop does get warmer than the outside shade temp.

Back
Top Bottom