Should I wait to get pullets for my 12 wk old roos?

BWchicken

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Texas
I have 2 bantam cockerels and no pullets. I thought I had one roo and one pullet, until the "pullet" crowed! They are 12 weeks old and were raised together. They get along pretty well so far, and one seems to be dominant already, and the other one doesn't really challenge him much (yet). I want to get some pullets for them, but I know that will cause some fighting, so I'm wondering about timing. Should I do it now while they are this young, or is it best to wait until they have sexually matured (that's at about 6 months old, right?) I want to introduce pullets at a time when the roos will be less likely to try to kill each other over them.

I'm also wondering how the pullets will react to the roos. Should I get pullets around the same age as the roos? And is it best to get pullets seperately that don't know each other, or get them as an established group (if that's even possible)?

Last edited by a moderator:
How old would the pullets be? I would not add anything younger then they are but If they are around the same age or older go ahead and try to add them. I just added a roo to my two hens (all about the same age) and they all did just fine. Seems WAY easier to add a roo or two to hens then it is to add hens with hens.
idunno.gif

Whether I get pullets now or wait, I too thought it made sense that the pullets be about the same age as the roos are at the time. Is it best to add pullets while the roos are still young (12 wks now) and not wait for them to mature more? My main concern is fighting.

You need keep any new birds separated from your two current roos for a few weeks to a month to make sure they are healthy. Don't get them in a try putting them in with yours.

After a month, maybe put them with wire between them so they can see, but not touch. Then bring one rooster in with a few pullets, and the other rooster with the rest. Then I'd put them all together and watch them closely!!!

Some have replied on other threads, that it works best to put them together at night while they are on the roost, but that would require getting up early to check on them!

Make sure they have plenty of area to get away from each other is there is a problem! Don't want one cornered and unable to get away from an aggressive chicken.

I'd try to get close to the same age if possible.

Good luck!

Great advice, thanks!
smile.png
I'll go ahead and start looking around for some pullets and see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom