Should I warn my neighbors that we are getting chicks??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by canaday413, Mar 25, 2015.

1. canaday413

canaday413 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    I'm never really sure where to post! LOL! I hope it's okay to ask this here.

We live in a LARGE neighborhood with smallish yards and houses all packed in. Bleh! I share a privacy with 4 neighbors. Ugh! (you can tell it's not my favorite?)

So I am wondering with the close proximity, should I go ahead and give my neighbors a heads up about our intention to get a couple of chickens? We called the city and spoke to someone in the codes dept to make sure it's permitted, but I know they will wonder if it's allowed and maybe fuss. We do not know two of the neighbors we share a fence with so I would just leave a friendly note.

OR...should I just bring them home and let them wonder what that strange clucking noise is coming from our yard? And spy on them spying on our yard. haha!! [​IMG]

2. REDJN2

REDJN2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    Az
    I wouldn't say anything to them if you don't know them. I have a similar set up to you and the neighbors I do talk to found out only because of their kids hanging out with my kids. They think it's cool so far and they said they have never heard even a single cluck.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I bought my neighbors silence with farm fresh eggs.

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of that depends on whether you are planning to have a rooster. Neighbors have a way of not appreciating roosters.

That said, hens can also be surprisingly loud. I have four and some mornings they make such a racket that neighbors down the street can hear them - and everyone in my neighborhood is on 1+ acre. Luckily no one here has complained (at least not to me), but we are semi-rural and lots of people have chickens.

If you are on chatty terms with your neighbors, I would mention it. And then be prepared to share the eggs...

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm always for being on friendly speaking terms with neighbors. Start a dialogue now and you'll have potential chicken sitters lined up for later in the year.

6. bumblebird

bumblebird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    That's what we're hoping to do. :)

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    It's none of my neighbors business what I do on my own property and they feel the same way about their own property. Therefore we get alomg well.

8. canaday413

canaday413 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you all for your feedback!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by