Should i wash my 1 week old peekin ducks?

Start with a warm bath with water up to the tops of their legs and just make it deeper as the days go by. They will have a blast. Just always supervise and make sure to Pat dry then put them back in the warm brooder. This will also stimulate preening which they will spread their oils over themselves to start making them water proof

Poor dears... (You and them)

More bedding will help, you can wash them with a very wet dishcloth. I would not give them a bowl of water and let them self wash as they will make you a bigger mess and it sounds like you are at wits end already. (Although I like miss Lydi a's idea of a shallow bath outside their bedroom)

Can you give them more room to run around? I find when the space is bigger the cleaning is more manageable as I can do it twice a day instead of hourly :rolleyes:

IMG_20230318_114327_349.jpg

Thank you very much im kinda new in the duck world i mean i had duck when i was a kid but i was only 4 So this site help me very much:thumbsup:wee
Gosh, if you were 4 that means you learned how cute without learning how much cleaning comes with it :)

They are worth it, much love comes with the care. More hugs in a day from ducks than in a month from hens :hugs

But also the same ratio for cleaning.

You need to create a larger space for your ducks as soon as possible. Ducks grow extremely fast. Much faster than chickens. Larger boxes can work, but ducks are messy by nature. They need water whenever they have food. They need food all day. Do you have a plan of where to put them when they are older? Maybe something there will work for a brooder.

You need to create a larger space for your ducks as soon as possible. Ducks grow extremely fast. Much faster than chickens. Larger boxes can work, but ducks are messy by nature. They need water whenever they have food. They need food all day. Do you have a plan of where to put them when they are older? Maybe something there will work for a brooder.
Yes they have water and food continously and im starting to make them a kind of Cage but for now they are in a box inside of the house beside a good heat source

What has been rec is good they will need more room very quickly they grow super fast.

Can you let them bathe in the tub to clean themselves off?

Also Pekins need extra niacin also so if you can get some in the form of Nutritional yeast you just sprinkle it over their feed. 1 Tablespoon over each cup of feed you give them. we see niacin deficiency in Pekins more than any other breed because they grow so fast.

When they go outside they are going to need a secure house and run to protect them from predators.

Back
Top Bottom