Should I worry about grey squirrels hanging around my chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DianaMallory, Mar 27, 2017.

1. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I have had them for awhile now, but they never bothered the chickens until recently., I noticed they are getting closer and closer to trying to get into the coop. Are they a predator that I need to worry about? I know they would probably steal eggs if possible but I am more worried about the harm they might do to my girls.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    They are probably curious.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I think under normal circumstances a squirrel won't bother a chicken. I have a female gray squirrel that's a regular visitor to the bird feeder that's about 10' away from my chicken run. Neither she nor her babies have ever paid attention to the chickens or gone into the run, and the chickens don't seem to notice the squirrels.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If your flock are not showing any signs of distress / alarm then its safe to say the squirrels are not an issue. My flock is not bothered by cats or monkeys - to me that equals no threat.

5. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    The old girls just warn each other when they get to close. The squirrels are usually after my bird feeder. Which is close to both coops. My bird feeder is the 3rd one I have had because the squirrels broke 2 of them before I bought a squirrel proof feeder. Which could be the reason they are looking for ways to get into the coop. I just wanted to make sure they won't harm my girls. If they get to be a threat, this fall they will be gravy! Thanks for the responses.

6. 100chicklover

100chicklover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2017
    The squrils just are curious and they want to eat the chickens food there is nothing to be woried about

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by