Should I worry about hawks?

WilliamH

Chirping
Mar 23, 2020
Should I be worried that hawks will attack my full grown ducks and geese? I’m just curious because I would think that my ducks and geese are too big to be attacked. I have Pekin, Rouens, Embden, and Toulouse.

It does say hawks can’t carry more than their own weight but some hawks are pretty big themselves.

The proof is in the pudding.

Is your flock being preyed upon? If not, or if the losses are minimal, you shouldn't worry about it. If the occassional bird is lost to a predator, think of it as a tax.

If you are having constant losses then some engineering fixes can be applied. You will have to fence your flock in with a 6 ft or taller fence, and stretch wire across to discourage birds if pret from swooping in on them.

The proof is in the pudding.

Is your flock being preyed upon? If not, or if the losses are minimal, you shouldn't worry about it. If the occassional bird is lost to a predator, think of it as a tax.

If you are having constant losses then some engineering fixes can be applied. You will have to fence your flock in with a 6 ft or taller fence, and stretch wire across to discourage birds if pret from swooping in on them.

Think of it as a tax!! I like that!

Think of it as a tax!! I like that!
A sort of hawk tax or fox tax. They can have one or two once in a while.

Some breeds of chicken are more clever at staying under tree cover (if available) and roosting up in the trees. A combination of breed selection and the environment you keep your birds in might be enough to keep losses minimal -- otherwise you will have to protect them.

Back
Top Bottom