Should I worry about hens' growing beaks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by toritori, Feb 28, 2015.

1. toritori

toritori Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Saranac Inn, NY
    I only have 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes right now, Heckle and Jeckle. It has been ridiculously cold (days without temps above 0F, nights -30F for the last 3 months), so the girls have stayed right in their coop. They are happy and content, but I just noticed that it looks like their upper beak has grown. I only noticed it when Jeckle clicked her beak together like my great grandmother used to do with her dentures! It's not bad, but there is definitely a difference.

I guess the question is, should I be concerned? They are eating and drinking ok. I am assuming that this is because they haven't been out foraging like they do all summer and fall. Is there something I can give them to "simulate foraging"....my 7 year old's idea was to tack sandpaper on the floor and put treats on it. Actually, not a bad thought. Maybe I am worried about nothing. Thanks everyone for the help!

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Maybe post a pic of your issue. I have a silkie who has what I call a parrot beak. It over grows and my hubby and I take a dremel tool to it to keep it in check. It is a undesirable defect in chickens but she is a pet and not being breed so we keep her.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If the top is getting overgrown you can trim the tip with nail trimmers.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    A flock block in the coop will help trim the beak some too.

5. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Place a brick or large rock in the coop. They will naturally hone their beaks on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by