Should I worry about her one red eye?

cvan333

Hatching
Oct 6, 2020
Hello friends - First-time duck owner here. I have two 4 weeks old ducklings and five 5-month-old chickens. Today I noticed one of the eyes on my Runner is red in the pupil and not the whites. I suspect that one of my hens pecked the Runner through the kennel where the ducklings are housed. I'm showing what the eye looks like in the picture. Any advice on how to help this little duckling. I can't get into the vet until Friday. TIA!
IMG_6406.jpeg

It's not weeping and I don't see any real wound. I would just watch it to see if it clears up on it's own. If you suspect your chickens of pecking through the cage, you might consider putting another barrier between them.

Hello friends - First-time duck owner here. I have two 4 weeks old ducklings and five 5-month-old chickens. Today I noticed one of the eyes on my Runner is red in the pupil and not the whites. I suspect that one of my hens pecked the Runner through the kennel where the ducklings are housed. I'm showing what the eye looks like in the picture. Any advice on how to help this little duckling. I can't get into the vet until Friday. TIA!
View attachment 2363261
Honestly that just looks like the sun light illuminating the eye. Certain shades of brown eyes in both humans and animals when I'm sunlight will appear almost a very warm chocolatey red color. If the eye were actually ruptured there would be obvious blood pooling inside.

Thank you for your responses. It's definitely NOT the sun. When she's more upset, the whole eye (just one eye) goes blood red. Once she settles, it looks like this picture.
IMG_7014.JPG

IMG_7015.JPG

Thank you for your responses. It's definitely NOT the sun. When she's more upset, the whole eye (just one eye) goes blood red. Once she settles, it looks like this picture. View attachment 2363599
View attachment 2363601
Interesting, from those pictures it does look more red than the original and almost ruptured. Is there any way you can attach a video of her? Does she act blind in any way or sensitive to natural light? How long has she had this?

Interesting, from those pictures it does look more red than the original. Is there any way you can attach a video of her? Does she act blind in any way or sensitive to natural light?
She does act like she's not seeing out of that eye. She closes it more often too. I noticed something new this morning.
It seems like when she exerts herself, the eye gets really red. When she calms, it looks like the image above.
Otherwise, she's acting normal. Eating, drinking, swimming, etc.

She does act like she's not seeing out of that eye. She closes it more often too. I noticed something new this morning.
It seems like when she exerts herself, the eye gets really red. When she calms, it looks like the image above.
Otherwise, she's acting normal. Eating, drinking, swimming, etc.
This is very interested I have never quite seen anything like this before only standard eye infections🤔 Is a vet a possibility?

Back
Top Bottom