Should I worry about shrink wrap?

Oct 16, 2020
Hey guys,

It’s a bit early, but it seems like some of my eggs from the latest hatch have been pipped all day. The think is, last night, their incubator got down to about 50% humidity. (When I went to bed, it was like 80%.)

I poured a little water in this am and got it back up to 85%. But do you think I should worry that they got shrink wrapped overnight, when the humidity dropped in the incubator?

I kind of wouldnt have expected them to hatch until late today or by tomorrow morning. So...maybe I’m worrying prematurely?

Nope.
I would not worry for even half a second...about them being shrink wrapped.

Have you ever hatched before?

I'd worry more about the humidity being too high.
Has your humidity gauge been salt tested?
What has it been running throughout...the humidity?

My humidity is always high, as I live in a super humid part of hawaii. My last hatch, 9 out of 10 hatched, and the incubator was running at like 99% humidity the last 3 days.

Basically, there is no way to keep my humidity at 70% here. If I add any water at all, it shoots up to at least 80. If I add no water, it runs at 45.

I’m looking forward to hatching in my new nr360, with humidity control. As my original Incubator is a PITA when it comes to adding water.

My humidity is always high, as I live in a super humid part of hawaii. My last hatch, 9 out of 10 hatched, and the incubator was running at like 99% humidity the last 3 days.

Basically, there is no way to keep my humidity at 70% here. If I add any water at all, it shoots up to at least 80. If I add no water, it runs at 45.

I’m looking forward to hatching in my new nr360, with humidity control. As my original Incubator is a PITA when it comes to adding water.
have you considered adding moistened sponge pieces to better control the humidity at lockdown vs adding water to the tray??

have you considered adding moistened sponge pieces to better control the humidity at lockdown vs adding water to the tray??
That’s an idea. Maybe I’ll try that.

what I find with the high humidity hatches is that it’s okay so long as the eggs aren’t flat out wet. If eggs are too close to one another they get condensation, which really screws up the hatch. But so long as they are spread out, high humidity at the lockdown phase doesn’t seem to cause too many problems s

After a dismal first hatch I decided to concentrate more on circulating the air and steadying the temperature than worrying about humidity. I kept the first phase dry and added water to the reservoir and added sponge for lockdown. I'm also in Hawaii, ambient humidity around 75%. The fertile egg hatch rate was 100% . My initial take is that no one should ever buy a still air incubator. Humidity was not a big factor, at least in Hawaii. Steady temperature was more important overall.

After a dismal first hatch I decided to concentrate more on circulating the air and steadying the temperature than worrying about humidity. I kept the first phase dry and added water to the reservoir and added sponge for lockdown. I'm also in Hawaii, ambient humidity around 75%. The fertile egg hatch rate was 100% . My initial take is that no one should ever buy a still air incubator. Humidity was not a big factor, at least in Hawaii. Steady temperature was more important overall.
Yeah, I agree. My first hatch had a 50% hatch rate, and I had condensation inside the incubator the whole time.

My second hatch was crummy, and I had some sticky chicks. But I went out of town and left my daughter's boyfriend in charge. I think he dumped a whole bunch of water in. WHo knows, maybe he even put the lid on wrong. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom