Should I worry or is it normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RunnerDucks, Jun 17, 2010.

1. RunnerDucks

RunnerDucks Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    My house duck who usually LOVES peaches and apples, the past two days has only taken a bite or two and then wants nothing more to do with them. This is the same duck who would eat a whole (chopped up) peach for breakfast and want more when he was done.
    Should I be worried that he is no longer interested in his favorite foods, or is it normal for ducks to get bored with a food? I just don't want to be missing a subtle sign of illness. He's already on antibiotics for sneezing, so I am nervous that perhaps this is a symptom of something more serious (and perhaps the sneezing is not just a mild URI afterall).

Opinions?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I find my ducks will go through fads with certain foods - but I give them a wide variety as well so they arent always having the same thing. What they go nuts over one time -they may leave the next. It may be something to do with the antibiotics it is having- or just that he is a little off his food. He would most likely be showing more symptoms than just sneezing if it was more than a mild respiratory infection. Any nasal discharge or breathing difficulty??

3. RunnerDucks

May 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    yes, he's been doing some open mouth breathing as well. Thanks for the info about the food.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is it possible the antibiotics have upset his tummy? Maybe some probiotics would be in order.

5. RunnerDucks

May 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    Do I just give him yogurt? Or do they sell them at pet stores/feed stores? (and if so, brand name?)

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I bought a vitamin electrolyte probiotic powder that mixes with water (Vitamins and Electrolytes Plus, I think is the name), but some make a half and half water and plain yogurt mix and offer a few tablespoons of that to a duck.

I gave mine some yogurt in water with chopped strawberries. They were unimpressed, but ate and drank a little, and seem fine.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Give him some plain yogurt.

8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    anti biotics some times do kill even good bacteria and it gives a doubled over in pain screaming at the tip top of your lungs going to the bathroom every 15 min, eating nothing because it goes right through your system, having 20 lbs. of homework because YOU MISSED SCHOOL for 3 weeks!

experience experience [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by