Should I worry or is it normal?

RunnerDucks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 28, 2010
Middle Tennessee
My house duck who usually LOVES peaches and apples, the past two days has only taken a bite or two and then wants nothing more to do with them. This is the same duck who would eat a whole (chopped up) peach for breakfast and want more when he was done.
Should I be worried that he is no longer interested in his favorite foods, or is it normal for ducks to get bored with a food? I just don't want to be missing a subtle sign of illness. He's already on antibiotics for sneezing, so I am nervous that perhaps this is a symptom of something more serious (and perhaps the sneezing is not just a mild URI afterall).

Opinions?

I find my ducks will go through fads with certain foods - but I give them a wide variety as well so they arent always having the same thing. What they go nuts over one time -they may leave the next. It may be something to do with the antibiotics it is having- or just that he is a little off his food. He would most likely be showing more symptoms than just sneezing if it was more than a mild respiratory infection. Any nasal discharge or breathing difficulty??

I bought a vitamin electrolyte probiotic powder that mixes with water (Vitamins and Electrolytes Plus, I think is the name), but some make a half and half water and plain yogurt mix and offer a few tablespoons of that to a duck.

I gave mine some yogurt in water with chopped strawberries. They were unimpressed, but ate and drank a little, and seem fine.

anti biotics some times do kill even good bacteria and it gives a doubled over in pain screaming at the tip top of your lungs going to the bathroom every 15 min, eating nothing because it goes right through your system, having 20 lbs. of homework because YOU MISSED SCHOOL for 3 weeks!

experience experience
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom