Should I worry?

NWChicks

Songster
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Granite Falls, WA
I'm new to chickens so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.
smile.png

A week ago I bought three baby chicks from our local co-op; 1 Russian Orloff, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte and 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte. The gold one was smaller than the other two to begin with. Since I've had them home they've been in their nice, toasty box eating their baby chicken food and the RO and the SLW have grown quite a bit. The GLW however, is still very small. She is eating and drinking and has grown some but is teeny compared to the other two. I weighed all three of them Monday and the two bigger ones are about 15 grams heavier and weighed in at 46 & 47 grams while the gold was at 29 grams. I weighed them again today and the bigger ones are at 56 & 58 grams and the gold is 35 grams. She's gained some weight but not as much as the others.

She is tiny but she's growing, just slower. The other two have feathers that are longer and more filled out. Her wing feathers seem to be growing several days behind her box mates. She's eating, she's drinking, she's pooping and she's growing, albeit slowly.

Can you calm an anxious new chicken owner?
smile.png
If this is worrisome, is there anything I can do? Thanks! (There was no indication that there were any bantams in the mix and I have no idea how to tell. )

Is it possible that she is a few day younger than the other two?

Also, I have a barred rock that was the same age as the other 4 I bought. She did not grow as fast as the others then she grew tall and thin while the others got bulkier before they got taller. They are all happy and healthy now and laying up a storm.

You might want to make sure she does not get picked on too much when they get to that stage.

Thank you! She's really spunky and very bossy for such a little thing! I've seen her run and jump kamikazee style on the other two when they're eating. I do see them chase her away from the food too but she is eating. I was hoping she's just small for her age or something.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I bought 5 EE pullet chicks last year and I have one very small one, much smaller than the others and today she is the biggest of the bunch, and the bossiest. We call her Supermario because shes so fast and speedy lol. Supermario and the Muffies.

The runt in our mix of 15 chicks ended up being one of the most friendliest and alpha pullets.

I go along with she is most likely a few days younger than the other two.

Quote:
My husband suggested this possibility. I suppose she could be (she just wasn't supposed to be. ) She's so cute, bantam or not she's staying whatever size she ends up.

I had our door open today to let in some fresh air and didn't think about their temp. They don't get drafty but the room temp. lowered and I think they got a little cold. She's so tiny she even had chilly feet. (My husband commented, "Yep! She's a girl!" because of my cold feet. ) Anyway, even after I moved their lamp and the other two settled down she was trying to wedge under them. I cupped my hand and put it over her like she'd be if she were under a hen and she snuggled right in and dozed off. It was so sweet. I'll just have to be more careful that they don't get chilled.

Thanks for the encouragement! I don't want to lose anyone.
smile.png

I had a speckled sussex chick that had a rough time her first few days. I knew exactly how old she was, and she was just ONE day younger than the others. She grew much more slowly, and was half the size of the others. (She also couldn't walk for a few days). Today she is just HUGE!--my biggest hen, and certainly not a doormat in personality. She'll bite me if I don't get the treat down fast enough! So I wouldn't worry too much if she is healthy and eating and pooping okay.

Quote:
That is very encouraging as mine is so, so small! I really appreciate the feedback from experienced chicken keepers! It's like being a first time mom all over again!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom