Should I worry?

annaraven

Born this way
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SillyCon Valley
So I went to the coop to clean out their water today and there was an egg waiting for me. (Yay!) I put it in my pocket to bring it in, and finish cleaning out the water. I bent over and oops, the egg fell on the ground. Of course, the chicken next to me pecked it (it went on the ground it must be FOOD?!) and it broke. I grabbed it and took it away quickly but now I'm worried.

Now I'm worried that she (of *course* it's the hen who's already laying who was next to me) might decide to peck her freshly laid eggs. Aargh!
th.gif
Should I just hope that it'll be okay?
fl.gif

Is there anything I can do to nip it in the bud? I don't have any golf balls or fake eggs or anything but I could run over and buy something somewhere... Ugh!

I have had a few hens peck an egg that they accidently broke and they didn't turn out to be egg eaters. Just make sure to take the egg away as soon as you see them trying to eat it. I only feed mine cooked eggs so they won't get into bad habits. If you really don't have anything else to use I would just place a real egg in the nest box until they start to lay. Or...if you could find a roundish rock or something. I use those plastic easter eggs and they work fine..so if you have any left over or packed away with your easter stuff, you could use that. Once your hens do start laying in thier nest boxes, make sure to keep the real eggs picked up every day so they don't have a chance to eat them.

Last week, one of our eggs fell out of the nest and was promptly eaten by everyone. I, too, freaked out, assuming they would all become the dreaded "Egg Eaters", but no one has bothered a single egg, since.
I have collected rather obsessively, since then, but on the days I work, the eggs are fine until I get home.
Say a little prayer, and try not to worry too much.

Brightest Blessings

I wouldn't--happens to me on occasion and they don't seem to catch on that the one on the floor is the same as the one in the nest. I even feed egg shells back with no problem. The danger can arise if an egg gets broken in the nest.

Back
Top Bottom