Should I?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tiffanyhurd, Sep 3, 2011.

1. tiffanyhurd

tiffanyhurd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I could really use your opinions!

I have five chickens...four are together and are 2-5 months. The problem I am having is introducing my Silkie to them. She is only 1 month old and a bantum, so I am really nervous for when I do introduce her to the others. Should I get another chicken that is the same age as my Silkie? Will it be safer to introduce two so they don't team up on her?

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I think one month is too young to try to introduce to a group of older chickens. And even if it were the same size, introducing one chicken to a group usually has bad results, at least primarily. Someone who has done this before needs to help you. I'm just cautioning you based on what I have read here!

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    if you could get her a friend to be introduced with, it would make for a much smother transition. but I would wait till your chickens are closer in size. like another 6-12 weeks.

4. Cosmopolis Chick

Cosmopolis Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Grays Harbor
    Quote:If you absolutely have to get her integrated with the older ones sooner than you are comfortable with (whether today or next month) you could make her a "creep".

It is any sort of thing that will allow a smaller animal to get into a safe place but the larger ones cannot.
    I have seen such a thing used with pigs, and I made a makeshift one when I returned my mama hen & her 6 new babies to the coop. I think my chicks were a week old, very tiny. They learn real quickly where safety is! Mama tries to protect them all but the "creep" gives them a backup plan. It also gave me a safe place to put the tray of chick crumbles as the hens would gobble it up instead of eating their layer pellets.

Look around your yard and garage, maybe a plastic milk crate? Maybe an old basket from your freezer? You'll only need it for a month or so, doesn't have to be too wonderful, just strong.

5. tiffanyhurd

tiffanyhurd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Thank you!

I don't have to intigrate them now...I just really needed more back up in talking my husband into another chick!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by