Should i?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rorie, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Rorie

Rorie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    We have some hens just now and we are away to buy some more to bring us up to 6 hens.

I am currently building a bigger run for the hens (10m x 2m) which will have a plastic roof to save Mr Fox coming in.

BUT, i was thinking it could be cool to have some ducks! But what do i need to consider? I know the below points, so anything else?

1) i know ducks smell more
    2) Ducks dont always go in at night, so if they were not penned in, i would need to chase them about
    3) Ducks like water!

Could i keep ducks and chickens in the same area i am currently building? Or would the chickens (all adults) drown in the water?

Anything else i should consider? They are pets/for eggs and will not be meat birds

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They don't really smell more it's just more they make stuff wetter which in turn smells more lol My ducks DO go in at night, i think it's just a matter of what becomes routine for them. Like water?> HA! well, no I'd go with they ADORE water and will use even the smallest amount to make a good mess.

You can mix ducks and chickens BUT if you buy drakes(males ducks) you must use caution, they are known to breed with hens which can result in death. I don't mix mine because of this, that and the water needs truly are so, so different my hens would greatly disapprove of the water being doused with mud and so forth and worse them attempting a bath in it lol

Ducks MUST have water deep enough to duck their heads so it's simply a matter of proper care not a matter of being more creative with water containers, they also need at least a basin in order to bath, liken it to a chicken dust bath.

I have heard people say they have had chickens drowned, but since mine do not run together i have no personal knowledge of this. Personally, i would stick with ducks(females) and only a few to avoid over stressing the area with mud and so forth, now a separate enclosure is up to you, then you can expand and do how you wish, they can certainly be side by side.. my chicken run is actually inside the penned area of the ducks... it's just set out of the way so they need not have to join in the water fun. [​IMG]

3. Rorie

Apr 1, 2012
    Thanks for the info :)

Do i NEED a drake? Or can i just keep female ducks like i could hens?

I think if i get ducks i will need to section them off from the hens so that they can have safe access to water without worrying about hte hens. Hmm.

I think they would be quite cool though!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You don't need a drake to get eggs. and if you don't have a drake you won't have to worry about him trying to mate with your chickens.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You can just keep females. You can see how they do with the chickens but always have a backup plan in mind just in case it doesn't work.

6. Rorie

Apr 1, 2012
    the question about the drake seems strange, but i was told i HAD to keep a drake with females, though that didnt make any sense to me haha.

Well, the sale is on Saturday, so i have to think up a plan and make a decision by then....

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I love my drakes they are actually friendlier than my ducks but can become aggressive during breeding season so that is something to take into consideration when deciding. If you ever wanted to hatch ducklings then you'll need a drake.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Probably being based off of a myth you need drakes to get eggs? anyways, you certainly don't NEED any, that is a personal choice, i have one i keep strictly as a pet.. he's a sweetie the other guy i breed with now & again.. [​IMG]

9. countrystarfarm

countrystarfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    We have ducks and chickens here on our farm our non flying ducks run about the yard during the day and do usually head the direction of their coop near dark but do need encouraged into their pen. We do house the ducks separate at night from the chickens due to the fact that ducks are messy and they would trash the hen house. Our have kiddie pools that they go into and love them especially when you add fresh water. I have drakes and hens and never had just one so unsure of that but my ducks lay great and they are a joy to watch.

10. Rorie

Apr 1, 2012
    Thanks for the replies.

I have read ducks need more room than chickens, any idea how much if i have cherry valley ducks?

I am still a bit concerned about water and my hens. I dont want to seperate them as they will have much less room. But also concerned that if i let them be free range then they will dig up all my plant bulbs etc? Or is this mainly just hens that destroy your garden?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by