Should it be dry and fluffy yet?

babsh

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Minnesota
How long does it take for them to "fluff up"? One of our chicks hatched 6 hours ago and it's feathers still look wet. Or at least they aren't fluffed yet.

Also, it's rather weak and still cannot walk. We hatched one last year and I remember it being up and walking around rather quickly. This one takes a few wobbly steps and falls over and sleeps. It's breathing rather quickly as well.

Normal? Not normal?

Sometimes it takes a bit of time before they actually look fluffy. He may be dry but sort of sticky.
6 hours is still a bit early to tell how it's doing-- it just hatched and worked hard to come into the world. It may be tired and just need to sleep. Give it time and wait til the hatch is done, and then you'll be able to compare his behavior to the others. He may have just had a tough hatch, or there could be something up, but it's too early to tell.
Just keep watch and see what happens later in the day or tomorrow. Keep asking questions and post pics of those babies!!!

Quote:
Thank you! That helps. I will put my worry aside for a few more hours. ; )

So far, there is not a single pip from the other 3 (today is day 22) so I'm losing hope with them. Sucks, cuz we started with 18 eggs.

Barb

Out of the 18 how many have hatched so far? Were they your own eggs or shipped?

Quote:
Thank you! That helps. I will put my worry aside for a few more hours. ; )

So far, there is not a single pip from the other 3 (today is day 22) so I'm losing hope with them. Sucks, cuz we started with 18 eggs.

Barb

> Out of the 18 how many have hatched so far? Were they your own eggs or shipped?

On day 18, I had 4 live chicks left of the original 18. Clearly alive and well, though, so I was hopeful. They were shipped eggs ($40+ worth). This is only my second time trying this, so I'm sure I have a lot to learn.

I sure hope at least the one makes it.

Back
Top Bottom