Should it have hatched by now?

JosieR

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Orange County, NY
I had a Cayuga on a nest. She started with 8 eggs. The drake pulled out and poked holes in 2 or 3. We put up a divider. Two eggs hatched late last night or early this a.m. I guess mama duck trampled on 1, we found it smushed down and covered in bedding
sad.png
There is 1 more egg that I can see in the nest, don't know what happened to the others? The nest is in the duckhouse.

Is it possible that the other egg will hatch? She freaks out if I even walk near the house and I don't want the 1 baby to get hurt but I also don't want an exploding egg. Even if I get it out I don't know what I'm looking for. Should I leave it? If so, how long?

Storeys book doesnt cover much about letting the mothers hatch out and raise the babies and I realize its because she should know what shes doing (though stomping on one of them makes me question this!) I would like to understand whats happening.

Thanks!!

Cayugas are not generally bred for good mothering ability, and first-time mothers often make mistakes anyway, so don't be too hard on her. The other one still has a good chance of hatching, so I'd leave it be for now. Is she doing all right with the one duckling she has in there? I wouldn't worry about the egg exploding. It won't hurt too much at this point and if it does happen you can always pull the baby and clean it up.

If you do want to check the egg, get a bright flashlight and candle it. If it's good, you'll see movement around the air cell (the bright circular area at the large end of the egg). If it's bad, you may see any number of things, but you won't see movement (except perhaps sloshing about from your own movement). If you're not sure, I'd tuck it back under her and hope for the best.

Keep an eye on her with the baby and see how she's interacting with it. When they first hatch they are very delicate and floppy, and it's easy for them to get smooshed. It even happens in incubators when they wedge themselves between things and aren't noticed in time. As they get stronger, they're better able to dodge clumsy feet and get themselves out of predicaments, so if this one is up and moving about, she may be just fine on it.

Of course, it's never possible to know the best course of action in advance, but it sounds like you're doing just fine. Good luck!
smile.png

Shes very protective of it, which is good. Of course shes so busy yelling at me that shes paying no attention to the poor baby running around! I actualy took the food bowl out because she kept tipping it running back and forth and I'm thinking the other one may have gotten smushed that way since it was right there.

How many days apart could they hatch?

Do you know whether any other hens were laying in the nest after she began sitting? If they've all been under her exactly the same amount of time, then they could hatch up to three days apart. But if that egg has been under her for less time then there's no telling...

I dont think so. I had a runner that was sharing nest sitting duties with her but she got hit by a car 3 weeks ago and all the eggs were the same color so I'm guessing they were all from the Cayuga. I think they lay different color eggs? When she first started the nest she was on and off so I planned on taking the eggs before we went on vacation (7/11) but then she really statrted sitting a lot, only getting up if it was really hot and only for a little bit. If I even try to peer at the egg she hisses but I have seen her mostly up today, nudging the baby or drinking water.

It is quite cute when she nudges it away from me with her bill lol

If she's mostly up, then I would take the egg inside and candle. If it's close to hatching you may be able to baby it till hatch under a lamp or similar. It would be a shame to let it die just because it's a little slow.

That is so cute about the nudges. Sounds like she's getting the hang of the mothering thing. I bet she'll be just fine with the baby.
smile.png

I am sure the moment I touch it, it will explode on me LOL I will have my husband distract her by doing evil, dagerous things like changimg the water and toping off the food LOL Maybe I will pck it up in a ziploc and then I bet I can candle through that and not have to worry. If I have to keep it with me under a light to hatch, I cant put it back with her, can I?

Thanks for your help, I will let you know how it goes
smile.png

I don't know...
sad.png
There is an air sack. It is about 1/3 or 1/4 of the egg on one side and half or just a little more on the other side. I dont see veins or anything but I looked at all these eggs 3 weeks ago and didnt see any veins either. So either my light isnt strong enough or I'm not good at knowing what to lok for (probably both lol).

It didnt stink and she charged my husband when he leaned in to take it.

I dont know that its worth the hassle to put back in the nest. At first my husband thought they could be up to 8 days apart but I'm pretty I read hatching is based on when she started sitting on the nest, not the day the egg was laid.

I don't know...but boy you take your life in your hands going near that nest, she is evil LOL

Back
Top Bottom