Welsh Brooding Help

DCC2615

Chirping
Oct 25, 2023
So my female has decided to make a nest and brood. She’s sitting on her eggs since 2/12. My issues, there are ALOT of them. She covers them up, piles more eggs on top, sits, then repeats entire process again. She was building nest but not sitting so we’d take the eggs when we cleaned pen, but now she freaks out if we go near them, puffed up feathers, quakes she’s even hissing at us, how long do I let this go on? I do not even know if the eggs are fertile but I cannot just leave them there forever. Please help

So my female has decided to make a nest and brood. She’s sitting on her eggs since 2/12. My issues, there are ALOT of them. She covers them up, piles more eggs on top, sits, then repeats entire process again. She was building nest but not sitting so we’d take the eggs when we cleaned pen, but now she freaks out if we go near them, puffed up feathers, quakes she’s even hissing at us, how long do I let this go on? I do not even know if the eggs are fertile but I cannot just leave them there forever. Please help
do you have any drakes? so maybe some are fertile? I know what you mean about the puffing up and hissing, Ive had a couple broody ducks but I dont have drakes so I know for sure the eggs arent fertile so I take them away.
do you want to have ducklings?
if so can you make preparations for their arrival? such as create a safe space for the mommy duck to hatch out her babies and care for them without the other ducks bothering her/them?
If you end up with a lot of ducklings do you have a plan for the drakes if you get too many?
@Miss Lydia

Sounds to me like she may have some developing if she has been sitting since 2-12 you best candle. If she is fiesty take her out close the door and candle get rid of any that haven't started growing and mark the once you have left. Have you decided how many ducklings you want? I always decide how many eggs my girls can have so I can keep my flock reasonable. It's not always easy for me to find others who want ducklings where I live and drakes are really hard to rehome.
If you want to break her then you'll have a dilemma if any of the egg have started to develop. If she has them piled on top of each other there is no telling unless you candle to see if there is life.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom