should Kate Smith go back into the coop? **UPDATE**

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
My ten year old BO hen, Kate Smith, (so named because of her one time girth) has gotten very skinny. I checked for a number of things and ascertained that she had lice
sickbyc.gif
. I sprayed her vent and under her wings with Poultry Protector and the next day I didn't see anything! Now I know that doesn't mean they are gone but it is 20 degrees here and while I know I should clean out the coop and disinfect, the poop is totally frozen (deep litter) Anyway I brought her in the house because I don't think she was getting enough to eat because she tends to let everyone else eat first and you know what heppens then, nothing left but pellets. I situated her next to the furnace with clean hay and special food. I don't think she is sick at all, she is acting totally normal and eating and pooping nice looking poops. My question is, should she go back into the coop
hu.gif
? I don't want to have her gone too long but is it dangerous to take her from the warm house and put her back in the cold coop
idunno.gif
?

Last edited:
Only after she sings "God Bless America!"
gig.gif

Seriously, if you put her back in the coop, keep a
close eye on her. Make double sure she is getting plenty to eat and not getting pushed back. Don't worry if all that's left for her is the pellets - they are better for her than the goodies are. She just needs to eat plenty. You might want to check your other chooks to be sure they don't have any hitchhikers, too.

You shouldn't take her from a nice warm house out to a freezing coop.

Do you have an unheated area to keep her for a few days? with a heat lamp perhaps to slowly drop the temp for her so its not a total shock?

Perhaps a dog crate in the garage with a heatlamp hanging above it, and slowly move the heatlamp away over a few days.

I think she will be fine, if you are concerned just make a gradual transition to the outside on a clear day with sun, bring her out in the morning and observe.

today was 38 all day. I put Kate in the coop about an hour ago at 3:30. She's in a crate with a blanket on three sides and most of the top with a 250 watt heat lamp about a foot and a half from her. Plenty of clean hay, water, pellets and scratch. tonights supposed to go to 22. will she be all right? she's put back some weight here in the house, pigging out and she looks great and I haven't seen any bugs. If anyone thinks I should bring her back in, I will, of course.

Please make sure the heatlamp is secure and doesn't touch anything else.

If the lamp will keep her toasty I think she'll be fine, a chicken can probably take a temp of freezing suddenly like that if they're fully feathered and well fed.
Don't stress too much
big_smile.png

Maybe you should keep her outside yet feed her separately from the others for awhile.
idunno.gif
I only have 5 birds so they all come inside the mud room of the house every evening and sleep.

Back
Top Bottom