Should my 7 week old Rooster be trying to mate?

mmccoy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Red Oak Texas

Christian is the one on the right. He was caught jumping on the back of one of my 8 week old chicks last night.

I keep trying to deny he is a rooster but with the crowing and now this I guess I've come to accept that Charity is now Christian and I have a rooster to re-home.

Is this normal behavior at this young age? First time chicken owner. Thanks for any and all replies.

Haha, I don't know that there IS a "normal" for them! If there is, crowing or trying to crow before 8 weeks isn't normal, either -- but it certainly does happen. I've read of their doing it at 2 weeks, even.

I'm no expert at guessing sex, but I do see a redder comb and a sort of "stretched out" stance (or longer neck) in Christian that I've seen in my own male chicks.

Christian is the one on the right. He was caught jumping on the back of one of my 8 week old chicks last night.

I keep trying to deny he is a rooster but with the crowing and now this I guess I've come to accept that Charity is now Christian and I have a rooster to re-home.

Is this normal behavior at this young age? First time chicken owner. Thanks for any and all replies.
Oh, he's a ROO alright!
yippiechickie.gif

Yep, the one on the left let out a crow 2 days ago. After they did a little dance all fluffed up today I am convinced I picked the 2 roosters out of 100 that were suppose to be 98% pullets.

Back
Top Bottom