Should my dog go to the vet or not??

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
We just got back from a one-night camping trip yesterday. Last night was ruff (get it ;)). Our dog, Arthur, whined and barked most of the night. He was let outside twice to use the restroom (very unusual for him). In the morning we noticed he had thrown up and had blood on his rear end. He slowly ate his breakfast which he usually practically inhales. After cleaning off his rear, I noticed no new blood. It only seemed to bleed for 3-4 hours. Now it has stopped. My brother also fed Arthur some garlic fries yesterday evening before I could tell him that garlic is not good for dogs. I am guessing Arthur got about 2-4 fries. Vet or not?

I'd give him a teaspoon of pumpkin puree (no spices) while making a call to the vet.
Pumpkin helps an upset stomach, if he has diarrhea it helps stop it and if he is constipated it helps soften. But only a teaspoon no more!!
I hope he is okay!!

I would watch him. If there is no more blood and he acts OK he probably is. I once took care of a dog with serious digestive issues. His owners had been in the diplomatic corps in South America and he reacted to being in the US with a seriously upset tummy. The vet told me to feed him cooked hamburger and rice. That is what I did and it fixed him right up. Just make sure he doesn't get any more garlic or onions.

When my dogs get sick I put them on chicken and rice right away. It is bland food for them and helps alot. I have big dogs so I put a chicken in a crock pot then take all the bones out using my fingers so I can feel for all the little bones. Then a pot of instant rice mix it half and half. They can also drink the chicken broth if strained (again watch for bones). It is cheaper than buying chicken and rice canned dog food from the vets. Also corn is bad for dogs do not use dog food with corn/ cornmeal it is a cheap protein but dogs cant digest it and many are allergic to it. I had a dog with the same symptoms as your dog and it was the cheap corn dog food. I did not know better at the time. good luck with your pet.

If he acts OK and has an appetite and no bleeding I wouldn't take him in. In this case what could the vet really do? Now if he is droopy, won't eat, and maybe has some bleeding, that is another story entirely.

Back
Top Bottom