Should my silkie come inside?

Silkies should not get wet in general. Their feathers are not very water repellent. Bring her in, wrap her up in a towel and let her hang out with you until she is all dried off. Make sure she can be in a dry space when she is outdoors.:)

Silkies should not get wet in general. Their feathers are not very water repellent. Bring her in, wrap her up in a towel and let her hang out with you until she is all dried off. Make sure she can be in a dry space when she is outdoors.:)
Yes we have a run that u can stand in and it has a roof were just going to either put a tarpbove rthe roof or ad shingles later on before it snows because snow will leak through as well. So should I bring her in then and dry her up?

Lol, @jmns says who? (Says Boko)
EA3653EF-AD19-4648-9D8D-70979F9C10CE.jpeg
028DBC85-FAD2-471C-8F3A-56A3AD46926B.jpeg

This is the most atypical silkie I’ve ever seen. Out of all the birds, she and the one behind her (a hedemora) will be out running around pecking away in almost any weather while everyone else is huddled away like they’re dying. (Temps were in low double digits - Celsius, or else I would’ve intervened. But no worse for wear with a bit of water in non freezing temps with next to no wind. 🤗)

As for a real response to this thread, lol. dry is best for these guys especially if the temps are low or the wind is high. :) feathers can’t have air space between if they’re soaked and matted down, so no thermal heat retention when they’re wet.

Lol, @jmns says who? (Says Boko)
View attachment 2391902View attachment 2391898
This is the most atypical silkie I’ve ever seen. Out of all the birds, she and the one behind her (a hedemora) will be out running around pecking away in almost any weather while everyone else is huddled away like they’re dying. (Temps were in low double digits - Celsius, or else I would’ve intervened. But no worse for wear with a bit of water in non freezing temps with next to no wind. 🤗)

As for a real response to this thread, lol. dry is best for these guys especially if the temps are low or the wind is high. :) feathers can’t have air space between if they’re soaked and matted down, so no thermal heat retention when they’re wet.
Well she definitely seems to live up to the expression “madder than a wet hen“!
🤣

Well she definitely seems to live up to the expression “madder than a wet hen“!
🤣
She’s always got such a resting “B” face but she’s actually the sweetest thing. Lol. When I first saw her I was kind of horrified to find her looking like that but she was completely unbothered by it all. Lol. Go figure. 🤷🏼‍♀️

My Silkie is exactly the same as @Trisseh !! She seems to love when it rains and the worms come to the top of the lawn... meanwhile everyone else huddled under shelter 🤷🏽‍♀️
However, I do let her (and any of the others) come inside for a while to dry off, and she seems to love a blow dry!

I guess if it’s really cold or windy, then make sure she dries off but I tend to think... let chickens be chickens! 🐓

Back
Top Bottom