1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should my turkey free range?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Flock Runner, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    this was my first year having turkeys. i only got one though, and i have a bunch of other birds. i love him so much im planning on getting him a girl friend. this spring though, im planing on building a new coop, but i can only build one, and im splitting it between my water fowl and my chickens. i don't want to put my turkey in with either of them because of deaseases and the risk of injury at breeding season. would it be better to let him free range? i dont have many predators where i live and the ones that do live here are scared off by the dogs.

2. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    hi there,
    becareful if u free-range because turkeys like to run off into the wild...i suppose it depends on how tame you have him. if he's really tame you can let him free-range they like to stick close to their caregivers. also when u get a hen for him, he might attack her turkeys are VERY possessive/protective over their property & their caregivers--so you'll need to keep them separate. also when u get a hen for him. u'll have to keep her in an enclosed area until she gets used to u (like ur tom, depending on how tame he is) then when u can have her free-range.

hope i helped
    PM me
    --turkeygirl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by