Should netherland and flemish giant be together??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bunnytamer, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Bunnytamer

Bunnytamer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    Tricities
    i am getting a new hutch and a new bunny, and i currently have a female netheland and am getting a flemish giant baby, should i keep them seperate or together??
    i have talked to the breeder so i dont need info on how big they will get

----------
    I am a proud bronie!​

2. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know much about rabbits.

I do know that female rabbits can be very territorial, and can fight to the death.

I personally wouldn't keep them together because the flemish will quickly outgrow the netherland, and if the nethie is an adult, she can still hurt or even kill the baby flemish.

congrats though, I'm more of an English lop type of person (lops of all breeds as far as that goes), but i love nethies too.

3. Bunnytamer

Dec 9, 2011
    Tricities
    Okay! and yes, but my nethi is not that old. the breeder said they might be able to live together, but i have spare cages lol

---------
    I am a proud Bronie!

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    They will need seperate cages for several reasons!

5. Bunnytamer

Dec 9, 2011
    Tricities
    Okay, can i have the reasons? Lol. i am building a hutch two and have a seperate cage just incase.

6. AZ Rabbits

AZ Rabbits Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    Arizona
    I'll chime in.

They should definitely be kept separate for several reasons (like previously mentioned).

- First of all, the size difference. One is tiny, one is giant. Mishaps could happen and the little one get hurt or killed just by accident.
    - Next, the size difference. I don't know what sex they are, but if they are a doe and buck and they breed, it could be a big problem if the Netherland is the doe.
    - Also, if they are both females, there could be blood. Rabbits are territorial. In cages it's never good to raise does together, especially if they are not siblings.

There are probably many reasons. But I'd highly recommend different living quarters for them unless you want to gamble on their lives.

Good luck and congrats!

7. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    1. they will most likely fight
    2. the flemish giant is going to out weigh the netherland by ALOT!
    3. If they are both does, they will fight, if they are doe/buck they will breed
    4. they will eat different amounts of food, and one will most likely bully the other, leaving one hurt and/or hungry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by