Should old english game bantams be kept with full grown chickens

Tiffy316

Songster
Mar 30, 2019
I have a few old english game bantams that are about 2 months old now. They're very tiny and I'm afraid that they might get hurt or worse if they're kept in the same coop as several larger chickens.

I've heard that pullets shouldn't be placed with adult chickens, and these guys are definelty pulled sized. They're about as big as a pigeon and don't seem to be getting any bigger. Also, I live out in the country, so predators are a big worry for me, even with my full sized chickens.

I have a few roosters who are much larger than these guys. I'm worried that they might be bullied or crushed by the larger chickens. If my wyandotte rooster tried to mount one of my old english game bantam hens, she might get seriously hurt.

The other thing that I'm worried about are predators who might take advantage of such tiny chickens. It's not uncommon for skunks, possums, raccoons, foxes, dogs, and other predators to roam around the area in search if an easy meal.

Bantams are usually fine with normal sized chickens.

I have a flock of tiny bantams and oversized large fowl.
They do fine.
The bantams can and will get pecked on or bullied, but it's just part of the pecking order.

If you're really worried about predators, then stick to standard sized chickens.

Bantams are usually fine with normal sized chickens.

I have a flock of tiny bantams and oversized large fowl.
They do fine.
The bantams can and will get pecked on or bullied, but it's just part of the pecking order.

If you're really worried about predators, then stick to standard sized chickens.
These guys are quite a bit smaller than regular bantams. They're the size of 1 month old chicks. Plus, I've already got both regular sized chickens and old english game bantams. I'm just trying to decide if they should be kept with larger chickens. I'll include some pics for reference. They aren't going to get any bigger than this.

Attachments

• 0527212054.jpg
    0527212054.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 32
These guys are quite a bit smaller than regular bantams. They're the size of 1 month old chicks. Plus, I've already got both regular sized chickens and old english game bantams. I'm just trying to decide if they should be kept with larger chickens. I'll include some pics for reference. They aren't going to get any bigger than this.
I am aware that they are much smaller and won't get big.

I was just saying, from my experience, I did fine with having bantams and standards together.
As long as you have enough space to where a bantam could run away and hide, they you should be fine.

I actually have a silver duckwing old english game bantam rooster (just like yours :)) and he's the second most dominant rooster, out of 6 roosters.. that goes to show that sometimes the smaller ones are more tough!

My bantam rooster even chases away my HUGE barred rock rooster!

Do your bantams do well in below 30 degree weather? I live in KS, and it can get into the teens sometimes.

Do your bantams do well in below 30 degree weather? I live in KS, and it can get into the teens sometimes.
Sometimes we get to the negatives!
I'm in Massachusetts, and the bantams do fine.
I have Silkies, sebrights, old english, d'uccles, and more.
They all do fine in the cold weather.
In the end, it's up to you.

See, this is part if the reason why I'm so worried about them. They're smaller than my foot. Plus, I live in a rural area so I'd really have to beef up any enclosure that I put them in. My other chickens are way bigger than them too.

Attachments

• 0604212022.jpg
    0604212022.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom