Should runt go out to coop?

When I first put chicks in the coop they snuggle together at night in a box I give them. If your chicks huddle together they should keep the chick with fewer feathers warm. No need separate them.

Since you're planning to put the heater out with them I don't see why it can't go out with the others. I'd really avoid separating them if possible, to avoid any issues with trying to add it back in later.

Otherwise, if it really makes you nervous, keep the entire group in another week or so.

Hi! First timer here. I have 5, 5 week old chicks and one is a runt (see pictures). My runt is about 4 times smaller than the others and still mostly covered by her down fur. I was hoping to move everyone out to the coop in another week but I’m worried that my runt isn’t ready (and won’t fare well).

Nights in MA are still getting down to high 30s-low 40s so I was planning to move the ecoglow and/or the cozy safe chicken coop heater (it’s a single free standing vertical panel heater) into the coop for extra warmth at night, but I’m not sure that enough for my runt.

I had though about separating my runt and keeping her inside until she is fully feathered, however I’m worried that it would be too much time separated from the others and she’d have to go through the pecking order again. Since she is so small I don’t think she’d survive having to go through the pecking order again.

I also thought about just removing her at night when the temperature drops but not sure if that would also cause her to go through the pecking order each day I returned her to the flock?

Any advice about best options for my runt’s survival in this transition process would be appreciated. Thank you!
Awe a bantam...

I also have concerns about my Production Red pullet that is noticeably smaller than her
"siblings" (they are ready to be moved to the run/coop). They do not bully her per se but she does struggle feeding with them given the size difference. Does anyone have any experience with a natural supplement that might boost/support healthy growth?

I also have concerns about my Production Red pullet that is noticeably smaller than her
"siblings" (they are ready to be moved to the run/coop). They do not bully her per se but she does struggle feeding with them given the size difference. Does anyone have any experience with a natural supplement that might boost/support healthy growth?
I ended up waiting an extra week (so they were 6wks old) then I put them all out into the coop with a heater for night time low temps and my runt did fine! She just grew at a slower rate but did eventually fully feather.

When my runt was younger, less energetic and weaker (weeks before going out to the coop) I did give her “nutri-drench” supplement by mouth and in her water. I did feel like that helped. By the time she was ready to move to the coop she was not getting that supplement and although she was much smaller than the others she was not weak and she seemed healthy.

I ended up waiting an extra week (so they were 6wks old) then I put them all out into the coop with a heater for night time low temps and my runt did fine! She just grew at a slower rate but did eventually fully feather.

When my runt was younger, less energetic and weaker (weeks before going out to the coop) I did give her “nutri-drench” supplement by mouth and in her water. I did feel like that helped. By the time she was ready to move to the coop she was not getting that supplement and although she was much smaller than the others she was not weak and she seemed healthy.
Thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom