Should there be Chicken/Duck coop designer ?

Well the reason for all of the buffs was a guy I found on Craigslist selling them for $3 each and I couldn't pass it up. There were 42 between 7 weeks to about 4-5 months about 8 roos in the bunch probably going to become some fried chicken in a few months or so but Great deals cannot be passed up you know Holmes' Homestead?

-Nate

i love designing coops.. i designed my home and my three coops.. i am not a professional but i can give you drawings.. it was always my dream to be an architect. but i became at stay at home mom instead.. i also designed my decks. and kitchen. baths. etc.. a few pics if your interested.

31142_2_day_snow_coop_002.jpg

one is 12x16, the red one is 8x8

31142_coop_2_006.jpg

31142_021.jpg

31142_snow_1_001.jpg

31142_semi_finished_coop_056.jpg

Last edited:
Hope this gives you some ideas...I found a built tractor (raised off the ground and movable if you want) on BYC that I liked for my new chickens. I had it built and put it inside a 10'x7'x6' chain link fence, then put a tarp over the top of the fence to keep out critters. You could use a dog house or choose from other already built housings..size will depend on the size of your flock. Do not use toggle switches as racoons can open them. I secured the access doors to the coop with a bar that went across the doors for further security.

In the spring, before we could get a new tarp on, a raccoon got over the chain link fence and killed my main egg layer. It must have just happened as the other chickens were okay. I was so upset as we considered the hens as pets...I got rid of everything. If you are building a coop and run you need to make sure to use hardware cloth and not chicken wire (keeps chickens in but not predators out) around your coop and run; put a roof on the run. Saw on BYC where a guy put a roof on a chain link fence using white pvc pipe, then he put hardware cloth over it and then a tarp for shade. Where was his idea when I had my other chickens?

Today, two years later, I am doing it right this time. Found a coop on BYC again that I totally liked and built. The coop and run are totally enclosed in hardware cloth, including on the bottom (ground) that is stapled to the wood frame. No one will dig into the run now! The plan is to house three Welsh Harlequin ducks and four various breed of hens. The coop is 4' x 6' and the total run is 12' x 6'. Inside coop has a window with screen, and vents for ventilation that is a must for moisture to evaporate. Hardware cloth over window so if it is open a racoon can't get in the coop. Built to contain all ducks and hens inside the run...no range roving, but will probably let them out to free range sometimes this coming spring/summer. I don't have a rooster this time to protect my hens. The last one we had turned really mean and would attack if we walked out of the house into the yard. He went to a new home!

Good luck to you in finding a coop and run for your chicks. Any size coop, run, information on breeds and what they eat, plus treats, etc. can be found on BYC. Just take the time to check it all out and then you will know exactly what you want and need to do for your new chickens and/or ducks.

Look into the Black and Decker book"Contemporary sheds" there are several good plans for sheds and playhouses. I love the gothic play house, sunligh shed and the Clerestory Studio with modifications as a coop.

Back
Top Bottom