Should they be laying eggs this time of the year?

Trefoil

Songster
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
It was 4º this morning. My 2 hens are laying eggs, is that normal this time of year? They aren't sitting on them, won't they just freeze?

-7 degrees this morning and perhaps lower tomorrow morning.

The first year pullets are laying up a storm. Gathering eggs is a pain. Put on the winter coat again. Hat and gloves. It is bitter cold. Carry fresh water, feed and then feed again later in the day. Four trips for eggs, 7 am, 10 am, 1 pm, 3 pm. You gotta love having them, or this is tedious.

well this is the peafowl section, so guess you are asking about peahens. no they shouldn't be laying this time of the year in the States. If you have extras light on, that will cause them to lay out of season.

well this is the peafowl section, so guess you are asking about peahens. no they shouldn't be laying this time of the year in the States. If you have extras light on, that will cause them to lay out of season.

thumbsup.gif
Also, if you have a light on them and they are laying now, they may not lay in the breeding season when the cocks are actually breeding them.

thumbsup.gif
Also, if you have a light on them and they are laying now, they may not lay in the breeding season when the cocks are actually breeding them.

bow.gif

Deerman- I don't have light on them and the cock is locked up (to prevent him from getting hit) while the hens are free ranging. Is there any way to convince them to stop? Uh that sounds like a really stupid question, but I would like to get eggs much later, not now.

peahen have been known to lay out of season, not normal and will not be fertile.

myself i would gather them and eat them.

they should only lay a few and stop. till spring

Back
Top Bottom