Should they be laying or not?????

lightchick

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
I have 6 chickens, 4 that are 29 weeks and 2 that are almost 20 weeks.
I have a Red and a Black sex link, a Australorp, Silkie and 2 younger mixed breed chickens.
The Red sex link started at 19.5 weeks and the Black sex link started at 23 weeks.
I've been waiting and waiting for the Australorp and Silkie to start (they are the older ones), but they haven't! The Australorp started squatting several weeks ago, but that's it.
Should they be laying? It has been very cold and snowy lately......
Should that two mixed breed girls start soon or do you think they'll take longer???
Here are some pics of them.
LL

This pic was taken a couple weeks ago. The one on the left has a pea comb and feathered legs so I think she has Brahma in her and the one on the right has a beard, but no pea comb.
Should I expect eggs from them anytime soon? Also they are still only 2/3 the size of the older LF girls, but they are the same size (maybe a little bigger) as the Silkie.
Should they be bigger??? I do have a red heat lamp going all night if that changes anything.
Thanks for any advice!!! I hope it wasn't too confusing!

I have 6 chickens, 4 that are 29 weeks and 2 that are almost 20 weeks.
I have a Red and a Black sex link, a Australorp, Silkie and 2 younger mixed breed chickens.
The Red sex link started at 19.5 weeks and the Black sex link started at 23 weeks.
I've been waiting and waiting for the Australorp and Silkie to start (they are the older ones), but they haven't! The Australorp started squatting several weeks ago, but that's it.
Should they be laying? It has been very cold and snowy lately......
Should that two mixed breed girls start soon or do you think they'll take longer???
Here are some pics of them.
LL

This pic was taken a couple weeks ago. The one on the left has a pea comb and feathered legs so I think she has Brahma in her and the one on the right has a beard, but no pea comb.
Should I expect eggs from them anytime soon? Also they are still only 2/3 the size of the older LF girls, but they are the same size (maybe a little bigger) as the Silkie.
Should they be bigger??? I do have a red heat lamp going all night if that changes anything.
Thanks for any advice!!! I hope it wasn't too confusing!
Yes, your BA and silkie are most likely right on the verge of laying. But here's the kicker....winter is here! Colder days, shorter days, loss of sunlight...all these contribute to your girls slowing way down on egg production....it's just a fact of life. Enjoy the eggs you do get, and come spring they'll all be singing the egg song for sure!
frow.gif

My Australorp started laying a couple weeks ago and Elsa started yesterday at 21 weeks old! I don't have any pics of my BA's eggs yet, but I have some pics of the flock and of Elsa's egg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom