Should we add a rooster to our flock?

Valk

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Durango, Colorado
Hello everyone, I hope you're all enjoying the beginning of autumn as much as I am!

We have twelve magnificent chickens that are starting to lay. All twelve are ladies (well, they're all female anyway!
lol.png
) and we're pretty sure that we scored on that one. The other day, my hubby pondered that we may want to add a rooster to our flock, thinking their environment would become a more natural one. The thought of adding a rooster is somewhat... unsavory, and I'm still celebrating because we ended up with twelve pullets. However I do have a couple of questions:

Would our girls be happier with a male around? I don't think they're feminists.
wink.png

If adding a rooster is in our future, which breed would be best? I was thinking a bantam Cochin, Silkie, or other docile breed. I certainly don't want some kind of tyrannical thug terrorizing my beauties.

Fortunately, we have no neighbors to upset by adding a rooster.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
D.gif

Last edited:
As a more well thought out answer, I will say this. You guys have more predators than most of backyard chickens combined. A rooster will be there to help out with that. He would be earning his way!

Also, roosters are not all unsavory or tyrannical. My rooster is my favorite chicken, and he's the boss when I'm not around. He loves the hens and would put himself in harm's way to make sure they do not get hurt. He calls them over to eat when he finds food on the ground, and will not eat the food unless there is enough for all the hens. He's just awesome, and from what I've read, he's not all that exceptional.

On another note, I originally had 2 roosters. The small, cute bantam rooster was about as mean as they come. He attacked everyone and everything, and was LOUD. He crowed hundreds of times daily, and was quite hard on the ears. Small does not necessarily mean nice and cute. Though I've heard good things about silkies, I know that not all bantams are nice. In fact, I think they have to be three times as mean just to make up for their puny bodies.

Short answer, get a rooster but do plenty of research on breed disposition before you do! If you can pick a grown rooster, great. Otherwise, if you are getting a chick, get several so that as they mature you can pick the good one and eat the rest!

Last edited:
That is a very informative answer, Hayduke. I'm not sure why I assumed a bantam would be docile. "It's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog."

Yes, we have predators coming out of our ears! Wouldn't a crowing rooster attract more predators?

There are lots of roosters out there who need homes! I think I'd opt for a full-grown roo to ease the pressure of that market!

Another reason to get a large, fierce sounding rooster. You need one who bellows a giant warning howl, not one who sings the cutest little song you've ever heard
D.gif

By all means!! A rooster will be a great addition to your flock, especially since you do have predators and you don't have any HOA or city rule limits. I have 3 grown roos that get to keep their heads because of 1} genetics...and 2} because they have all of the good rooster traits. They are gentlemen and protect their girls, they call the girls to them for goodies, they alert their flock mates when they see hawks etc, they don't attack the babies. I know you will find some who are mean..we hatched 4 of them this past April. They are now at freezer camp. But our flock of 16 birds has 3 adult roos and one teenager. The head roo, for the most part, makes the sub roos behave. He won't let them mate the females, and makes them wait to eat. They know their place in the pecking order.
It is interesting watching them interact with each other, and watch for predators etc. I am new to chicken keeping and learning as much as possible.

Wow, shows how much I know about roosters! With this information you kind people have provided, I think a rooster may be a nice addition. I'll have to keep my eyes open!

Hayduke, when selecting my new rooster, I'll make sure he's extra loud and thunderous!

Thanks so much for your perspectives!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom